Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Want to learn tig, decisions?

I'm intersted in learning tig welding and need a machine to start with, I have been looking into the diversion165, Hobarts ez 165 and or one of the Chinese machines(everlast,longevity and eastwood)im very skeptical though about chinese machines .I believe you get what you pay for. What do you guys think, I know this is a miller forum but if you recommend a lincoln tig machine I want to here about it. Thanks

The Diversion or the Hobart is about as easy as it gets. A little light on power but a very good way to start.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Don't get a chinese machine because if you get into it and really enjoy it you will only have to upgrade and a Miller second hand will bring more money for the next unit. This has nothing to do with this site it is just a fact.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

A Diversion 165 or 180 will be all you need to learn to Tig.
    CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

I started TIG'ing a few months ago. While I was shopping around, I really looked around hard for a used Miller at a decent price in my area, but they were all just out of my budget. I ended up with an Eastwood 200. It's been great so far and definitely something I'd recommend to someone looking to get their feet wet in TIG without having to make a $2000 dollar commitment. However, I would've picked up the syncrowave 200 I'd been seeing on Craigslist if I had an extra $1000 laying around.

I've never used a Miller TIG, but I plan to pick one up when I get a little heavier into fabrication.

The Thermal Arc 186 AC/DC with a foot pedal is about $1,700.

The only issue with the Diversion is you cannot do stick. Look for a Miller 200 syncro or a Lincoln 225. Depending on your use the 180SD Miller syncro would work or the Lincoln 175.
    If you like the inverter type, the Miller 150 STL is nice. We have a few at work. Awesome little machine.
    http://store.cyberweld.com/milmax140str.html

Default My Thoughts on TIG Machine

Hi nywelder,

Quote Originally Posted by nywelder View Post
    I'm intersted in learning tig welding and need a machine to start with, I have been looking into the diversion165, Hobarts ez 165 and or one of the Chinese machines(everlast,longevity and eastwood)im very skeptical though about chinese machines .I believe you get what you pay for. What do you guys think, I know this is a miller forum but if you recommend a lincoln tig machine I want to here about it. Thanks
    I'm in about the same place as you... just a little ahead in terms of a purchase.

I received a Diversion 180 yesterday morning... the UPS guy could tell that I was really excited.

I went with the 180 over the 165 or the EZ 165 because of the foot pedal and the ability to use 110 VAC. I honestly don't know if it will be worth the extra cost; but, I figured since I was buying new, I might regret it later. (Buying used would have been different because there may not have been a choice depending on what was for sale at the time.)

This is the first new machine I have bought. I have a Hobart 230 and a Hypertherm 30 that I bought as used, although neither one was even plugged in. I have looked for several months for a nice used TIG (in particular a Miller); but, I didn't have any success. Maybe that says something good about the Miller line.

The sale that Miller is promoting through the end of this month was enough to push me over the edge. I'm really happy with the choice, even after spending that much money.

I was considering a couple of larger transformer-based used Millers. They would have made it tough to use the power I have installed into the garage, although I think it might have been acceptable.

Regarding some of the offshore brands, I did a little research, too. Although there were probably extreme cases, I did read more than a few cases where the welder would fail soon after delivery (or in same cases they were DOA). The real issue was those failures concerned the need to box the machines up and send them back for repair or replacement. We have a local Miller dealer that does service, and I figured that would be worth a lot if there was ever a problem with the Diversion.

I hope that I've helped a little. Good luck with your decision.

Jeff

Thanks for all the input, I am going to pickup a diversion 165. Just one more thing what is the difference between the 165 and 180 tig welding wise they both have the same metal thickness rating? Should I consider the 180? What do you guys think? Thanks

This is not intended as intruding on the thread, but rather germaine.

I have a 165 and have been struggling to learn it for a couple years now. Just myself and the Gurus on this forum. I bought a foot pedal as I couldn't work the thumbwheel and I just converted to the WP-17 torch and silken hose assembly.

Both are major improvements IMHO. From a welding nobody BTW....

That said. Trying it out today was a PITA as nothing seemed to work the same. I'm ignorant.

Instead of trying to join pieces should I just work on a single clean piece and get to run smooth beads for a while? I suspect that's the learning path, what say you all?

Thanx, Steve
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Leblond 15x 35 Regal Servoshift lathe
    Solberga SE 1425 Drill Press
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander
    Tons of grinders and hand tools
    Knife edge Balancing rollers
    Heat and AC in the garage