Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thermal arc huh, funny I checked out the thermal arc 186 ( couple videos on you tube)and I liked the features and room to learn ( more settings I can learn on) it would be almost the same cost as the diversion 180.
    I do have a stick machine already( lincoln 225 ac) but that doesn't matter. Keep it coming, I'm on the fence. I like the thermal arc 186 argument even if it is a overseas unit:/

Yeah, I'd say the Thermal Arc 186 is definitely worth looking at. I've been holding back on the Diversion 180 because of the fan noise and the limited features. Just looked at the 186 and going to call my LWS tomorrow for a quote. For a couple hundred more than a 180 I get a ton more features with the 186. Only drawback difference I can see is the dual voltage option on the 180. Yeah, I prefer Blue but Blue ain't been preferring me here; choice is a limited 180 or $5K for a Dynasty or Syncrowave. Sorry Blue.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

I really like my Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175. It's been a great machine to learn on. No bells and whistles. Just an amp dial and a three way switch for DCEN, AC, and DCEP. It came with a great pedal, and a standard dinse for the torch. I've also been running a little stick with it too.

Just throwing it out there as another option.

Quote Originally Posted by nywelder View Post
    Thermal arc huh, funny I checked out the thermal arc 186 ( couple videos on you tube)and I liked the features and room to learn ( more settings I can learn on) it would be almost the same cost as the diversion 180.
    I do have a stick machine already( lincoln 225 ac) but that doesn't matter. Keep it coming, I'm on the fence. I like the thermal arc 186 argument even if it is a overseas unit:/
    Even though you have a stick welder the TA 186 is a DC stick machine ( better). It also has pulse functions and the ability to change torch sizes.

In my mind the Diversion doesn't come close to the TA 186!!!

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the diversion 165 with a foot pedal. Now I went with the diversion 165 for a few reasons, first I just need to get started with the basics, I can always move into a bigger machine later. 2-I called miller the other day and asked them is this made in the USA and they replied that the inverter is made in Japan or Italy, the torch is china and the rest is made here and assembled in the USA. The diversion 165 was the right price for me at 1250.00 and with the 15% discount it was the comfortable for me and I can get electrodes,filler metal and different accessories. But I will tell you guys I can't thank you enough for the feedback. It was a tough decision and you guys really gave me a lot to think about thank you again Steve .

I think you did good. We all have our favorites, but it is generally a Ford/Chevy Dodge thing. It looks like an easy machine to learn with.