Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman2000 View Post
    So they just plasma cut the holes out of a 1/2 inch 25mm plate?
    Yes.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default collars for dumbell

Sound!

I would also say flame or plasma cut. Your later pictures show more detail. I sometimes lay a tape measure extended beside the part I am photographing to give a size reference in the photo. I find it helps when I refer to it later. I'm guessing you want to make some of these? Depending on how you are equipped and how many you want to make you could also machine them from solid bar or cut them from heavy walled tubing if you can find it in the right dimensions at a reasonable price. Plasma does do an acceptable job though.---Meltedmetal

Default Not that I can prove it but...

...I stick by my answer of "these are punched."
    There is no way they would be cost effective "torched" out...for something so simple.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Cost effectiveness would depend on the equipment available and the number required. If I understand the Bossman, the center hole is 2 inches. They appear to be taller than they are thick and he says they are 1/2 thick so that would make the OD somewhere over 3 inches.
    Meltedmetal

And my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I see torch marks. Haha. Mm

Hate to keep repeating myself but they are not punch out of flat stock. These are 100% not die marks a die and punch will leave a sheared edge because that I what it does. As far as being cost affective when you double punch something you will always have distortion these do not show the "pull thru" And that means that if you did punch em you would have to flatten em. Making it cost much much more.

Just sayin.........

What is the point of this thread? The OP has never said if he is trying to make them or anything? Just trying to figure how these exact ones were made?

I'll be making them alright!

I see. You would get better information if you would have asked for suggestions on how people recommend you go about making your own. Otherwise people were just thinking you wanted to know how those exact ones were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman2000 View Post
    I'll be making them alright!
    What type of equipment do you have to make them? If you try to do them free hand I don't think you will like the results.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24