Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HOW TO "de-itch" a fiberglass welding blanket

I've got a stiener fiberglass welding blanket and I was wondering if anybody has a way to reduce the amount of fibers that fly when I get the blanket out and set it up. In other words I itch like crazy after I use this thing.

wash machine...dryer ....vacuum?????
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

It's fiberglass, long sleeves & gloves.

When I was young, my Mom washed some fiberglass curtains, followed by a load of underwear. That was the wrong thing to do.

Maybe I have to just deal with it..I thought maybe there was a spray or something out there
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

Default fiberglass itch

In my early 20's a buddy of mine bought a house with a junk fiberglass hot tub, like a moron i took my chainsaw to it to get it out! I itched for days, never again do i buy or mess with fiberglass. I use heavy leather blankets, or soak a cotton cloth in water.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

I'm not happy with you guys, I looked at the heading and said
    ( HOT DIGGIDY DOG ) finally a solution to my itchy blankets.

Just to be let down.

I guess I'm the only one smart enouph to have a solution for this problem.

Its called ( Apprentice Work ) HA Ha.

Me and my guys will do almost anything to avoid getting the blankets out.

A man could become a millionair to have a solution to this problem.

Guys, I have the absolute best way to avoid getting itchy from fiberglass welding blankets.....I dont buy them anymore I suck it up and buy the carbon fiber Steiner blankets. Comfortable enough to use them as a blanket!!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STE...E72?Pid=search

Never thought much about it. But I guess none of u guys worked much in a body shop. I worked on Corvettes in 70's even did some boat repair.
    We worked with raw Fiberglas & resin, you grind & sand that all day long you gain a new meaning for the word itch. :-(
    Like I was told just toughen up it could be worse.
    Still better than grabbing hot piece metal with hole in glove. :-)

I seem to always dress more appropriate for working in fiberglass than I do for welding. I guess ever since I was pulling fibers out of my armpits and biceps and forearms for a week after I helped a buddy seam his squirt boat. I've got an old deuce and a half bed cover as a cloth. Super burly canvas but I want a Steiner though.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRob View Post
    Guys, I have the absolute best way to avoid getting itchy from fiberglass welding blankets.....I dont buy them anymore I suck it up and buy the carbon fiber Steiner blankets. Comfortable enough to use them as a blanket!!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STE...E72?Pid=search
    Yep, me to. Ours are similar and work well. They are not as pliable as the fiberglass. I avoid the fiberglass if possible.