Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by HayFarmer View Post
    I had thought of radio plugs but didnt know how emitted welding radiation would play w/ the phone.
    The radiation from welding is not going to be high enough to affect your phone, I'd be more worried about the sparks and slag adding a nice crater to your phone case or screen. Now if your using high frequency tig, then the electrical RF could possibly couple to your long head phone wires like an antenna and cause noise in the music your listening to. I haven't tried it since I don't have a tig unit, but that would be my guess on it.

As far as the radiation, I use my phone for calculating averages when calibrating radiation detection equipment and there are many times it is set on the range table in the field of the Cs137 source beam. If radiation affected my phone I'm sure my phone would already be experiencing the affects.

I have occasionally used spent 9mm handgun brass for temporary ear plugs.

Intersting idea...how did that work? Have you ever pushed a foam plug into them for less noise (if it actually works that way)?

Quote Originally Posted by HayFarmer View Post
    Intersting idea...how did that work?...
    That was for noise, not spatter. Works OK for a few minutes but not very comfortable.

I try wearing earplugs, especially when running fluxcore. a friend of mine was welding on galvanized stairs with flexcore when the galvo popped and a piece rolled down his ear and burned his eardrum out. He got some surgery but lost most of his hearing in that ear.

What's flex core? I got to learn that