Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default welding warped my sheet,,,how to straighten

I knew there was a good chance this would happen. I miged a plug into the I/O hole on the back of an aluminum boat. I had nightmare welding issues...mostly because of the swirling winds..and my gas setting was only about 22 . plus it took me a while to get a feel for the process. the verticle surface of the boats transom did not weld anything like my test pieces on the horizontal bench!! the result was i welded a lot longer than i should have... and i ground away a lot of my poor welds, and now the transom sheet aluminum has a serious bow in it. I know there is an art to straightening sheet metal with heat....doesnt anyone have some tips or a GOOD source to read up on it??

thanks

bob

If you mangled it trying to weld it, I might suggest letting a professional straighten it for you.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Quote Originally Posted by jrscgsr View Post
    If you mangled it trying to weld it, I might suggest letting a professional straighten it for you.
    who would be a professional at something like that? a professional welding house?

the results dont have to be perfect. the top of the sheet( the transom) is like a lazy S. Its like the top stretched, but since it is captured on the ends it is bowing in the middle. Normally Id prefer to do as much myself as possible..sure there are specific things you need to hire someone.. this boat project is going to be a utility hunting boat. as such id like to try it myself.. i should have let it cool more and staggered my wedling...but with the issues i was having, and wanting to correct it..i kept at it. certainly a mistake. It is wedled fine now. I finally got the mig to puddle and flow for great penetration . I think the wind was killing me the most.

bob

Get on the opposite side of the bow and with a plunger see if you can pull it back.

who would be a professional at something like that? a professional welding house?

This guy.

Default Body man

This is probably more of a body man problem, hammer and dolly work. The transom is probably thicker than most body panels, but since it is aluminum, you should be able to use the same basic technique. He did not say how thick it was.

The body men think in terms of using a hammer and dolly to stretch the weld area to compensate for the shrinkage from the weld. They would also be pushing the panel back into line, but you will never get it back in line if you do not correct for the weld shrinkage.

A photo would be helpful.

A real body man, especially somebody who knows how to make a panel from scratch, could probably look at it and tell where to hit it. Somebody who does not do that work might make it worse instead of better.

I am not as good as a good body man, but I do a fair amount of hammer and dolly work, and could figure out where to hit it.

My two cents.

Richard

yeah I am thinking this wrappage isn't a body man job.....its not like a dent...it is a large area wave.... I am almost thinking to slice it down the middle and then weld it back a little at a time so I don't re warp it..

its all a learning curve, I think most guys who are experts have to realize, that because its second nature to you, it isn't to everyone else. I got through that myself as a toolmaker, explaining "simple" stuff to people who are trying to learn. The trick is offering an answer that leads to the person do it right...even if its EVENTUALLY

thanks

bob

Can you show a pic of the welded area? Not a close up but just a general view to see where the actual welding was done. From the pic you have here it looks like more is going on than just normal shrinkage of that plate. Almost like the sides have pulled in some which could be due to the location of the welding.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I think if you slice it & weld it together it will pull the sides in even more.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Yep. MMW your dead on. Don't cut & weld, just make it worse.
    I started welding in the 70's, was a body man painter many years. Also a Blacksmith, farrier (did that full time almost 10-years) still do part time but hv my own welding fab shop now. Like most guys I still warp things, so don't feel bad.
    But all things considered one of the hardest things for me to learn & understand is straightening, ie using heat which is the best way if u can master it. Really it's the art of shrinkage, or contraction which is what bit u in the 1st place. I don't hv time to explain now and don't hv link with me which explains. But if u do a search you'll find it. Read read read then try it. Takes a lot of trial & error (I still struggle with it) but all things considered its the best way to straighten metal. There are Co's that straighten massive beams as under bridges etc. using heat.
    It's truly a art worth mastering ie a lost art in this generation. The old timers were masters but most of them are gone. :-(
    Greg