Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Clarification re Electrical Feed for Diversion 180

Hi,

(I have searched online for information regarding this topic; but, there seems to be a bit of variation with the answers. So... I thought I would ask again.)

I am considering purchasing a Diversion 180. I've never TIG welded; but, I think it would be a great skill to develop.

Last year I purchased a used (but never used) Hobart 230 Ironman. I installed a new 220 volt service for the welder based upon the information provided in the manual. The breaker is a 40A, and the wire size is 8 gauge. I never expected to run anything bigger than the Hobart, so I considered 8 gauge to be adequate.

I am a little confused about the requirements for the Diversion 180. It appears from the manual that I should have a 50 amp service. (Somewhere I thought I read that a 60 amp service was recommended, although I can't find it now.)

The specifications indicate that the machine runs at 20.5A input current at maximum output.

The wire run between the breaker and the outlet on the wall is approximately 25'.

I want to meet code with the installation. Changing the 40 amp breaker to a 50 amp breaker isn't any trouble. Upsizing the wire to 6 gauge is something I would prefer not to do right away. If revising the wire is required, I may end up waiting to buy a TIG machine.

Is it correct to think that with the 8 gauge wire and 40 amp breaker, that the wiring will be protected, and that the breaker will only trip with moderate of extended use? (I will be using the welder for hobby use only.)

If I experience semi-frequent trips of the 40 amp breaker, my thought is to replace the 40 amp breaker with a 50 amp. This is where things are a little confusing... from what I have read, 8 gauge wire is sometimes used for 50 amp service, although, 6 gauge appears to be the best choice to remove all doubt about code compliance. (Should I consider a 60 amp breaker if new wiring is required?)

I want to do the right thing. I'm excited about buying the 180... I'm just not wild about the idea of rewiring the service at the moment. (It seems like every time I work in the crawl space I have mild health issues.... it's not my favorite place.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Unless I'm reading the manual wrong the Diversion 180 requires a 30 amp breaker.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I'm not an electrician but when used with a welder & because of the duty cycle on a welder a #8 wire will work with 50 amp breaker. For a Diversion the 40 amp breaker & #8 wire is fine.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Thanks

Hi MMW,

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I'm not an electrician but when used with a welder & because of the duty cycle on a welder a #8 wire will work with 50 amp breaker. For a Diversion the 40 amp breaker & #8 wire is fine.
    Thanks for your input.

Most of the threads that I read when I searched about this earlier today were a few years old. I was a little confused.

What is even more confusing is the information provided in the manuals (for the Miller Diversion and the Hobart EZ-Tig series). Both state that the minimum wire size is 14 gauge for current ratings of 30/35 amps. That seems pretty thin for that service.

If 8 gauge with a 40 amp breaker is a good starting point, it looks like I have no reason not to buy the Diversion 180. (I thought about saving a little money by purchasing the 165; but, the foot pedal and the ability to use 110 might be a good reason not to get too cheap.)

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

Your plan of trying it and upgrading if needed is logical. For instance my dynasty 200 is also an inverter tig, and I run it off my 30 amp breaker single phase service at work with no issues. I run 115 volt input 20 amp breaker at 120 amps out in the field when the need arises. I run 200 amps without issue on my 30 amp generator circuit as well.

I do recomend 50 amp 220volt plugs though. They are cheap.

Go with the Diversion180. It is miles better than the 165 or EZTig. And they are stupid simple with intuitive controls.
    Last edited by shovelon; 05-08-2013 at 07:28 AM.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Your current wiring and breaker are fine. If I'm reading the manual correctly it will only draw a max 20.5 amps input power at peak output on 220v. I think you are confusing when they say is comes with a 6-50 plug, which is just a style plug that happens to be rated for up to 50 amp service.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 05-08-2013 at 08:23 AM.

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD1-5.pdf

In the specifications chart.

Hi Cgotto,

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD1-5.pdf

In the specifications chart.
    Thanks for posting the reference.

I reviewed that sheet this morning before posting. I was confused with the 20.5 amp input... mainly because of the way I read what was written on a thread that was started a few years ago. I thought that I was okay with the 8 gauge / 40 amp circuit; but, I thought I should make sure before I got too far along.

All is good... there are no reasons not to go ahead with the Diversion. I'll need to make sure I buy the model that comes with the extra patience.... I know this will be a new (and frustrating at times) learning experience.

Thanks again.

Jeff