Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller Big 40 Diesel Starts Sometimes

I have a Miller Big 40 with the 3cyl Continental diesel engine. It came from a company and they used it when it would crank. I tried to crank it one day and it would not start. The next day I went out there and turn the knob to heat the glow plugs for about 20 secs and it fired up after about 10secs of turning over. It smoked for about 3secs and cleared up and ran like a champ. I let it run for about 5 mins and then let it sit for about 30 mins and it would not start back up.

Im leaning towards the glow plugs not working or working correct. It ran too good and did not smoke alot for me to think there was a compression problem. Im not too familar with diesel injectors or the injector pump...anything I need to know about it?

Thanks
    John

I bet it is the valve lash and/or the valve seats. Every 500 to 800 hours of operation they should be checked.

How about the fuel, is it old? May want to change the fuel, fuel filter and the air filter.

I would think, that the system is gummed up, best to get some cetane boost/lubricant (Motorcraft cetane boost from your ford dealership works wonders) So dump the whole bottle into a semifull diesel tank, start it up and leave it in high idle for a 1/2 hr or so. Leave it sit for a few hours. Start the unit up again, and run some heavy 1/4" rod. Just drive it into some scrap plate. Carbon chunks will literally fly out the unit. I like to load these up at night cause its like a firey volcano.

After that merely add an ounce per refill on the tank.

You stated that it had a no crank issue for the old company. After you had it running and then it would not restart, would it turn over?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtow30t View Post
    You stated that it had a no crank issue for the old company. After you had it running and then it would not restart, would it turn over?
    Yes it will turn over. It has is showing some seepage around the return line.

Well I don't know that machine, but like someone said before I would change the fuel filter(s) and consider draining the fuel from the tank. Especially if it has been sitting for a while, water can form condensation, and algae can form in diesel fuel.
    As for the glow plugs check if they are getting power. With the small diesel engines I have at work, the power goes from the switch to a circuit breaker, then to a timer, then to the glow plugs.

Default Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by craftsman82 View Post
    Yes it will turn over. It has is showing some seepage around the return line.
    I am inclined to place blame to the fuel. Drain the tank and flush it with fresh fuel. Change the fuel filter to a wix