Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by admweld:307270
    Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    i have fixed about 5 of these so far on pc400's.. and also where the main boom cylinder goes into the bushing. The last one i fixed was from a bad weld, it was full of porosity on the whole bottom half of the weld. Not real good QC to let something like that come off of the line
    Of course you have.You,ve seen it all.
    If ya look in my pics... pretty sure theres pics of a very simular repair on a pc 400.. ****. Since there is a komatsu dealer very close to me i do lots of work on them. They keep me pretty busy
    Last edited by weldonwelding; 05-05-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster:307268
    i have fixed about 5 of these so far on pc400's.. and also where the main boom cylinder goes into the bushing. The last one i fixed was from a bad weld, it was full of porosity on the whole bottom half of the weld. Not real good QC to let something like that come off of the line
    Prob robotic welded and the 18 yo QC guy didn't care or didn't know. I saw it alot...Bob
    Yep.. definetly robotic.

If ya look in my pics... pretty sure theres pics of a very simular repair on a pc 400.. ****. Since there is a komatsu dealer very close to me i do lots of work on them. They keep me pretty busy
    There,s a dealer about 2 miles from shop.And ive worked on few also for them.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by kerr74 View Post
    MMW...I'm still learning....what do you mean by stringing?...like the pics an explanation on how you did the repair
    Kerr74, Stringers are basically normal size welds overlapping each other to create a large weld. Here is a link explaining it.

http://www.weldmyworld.com/quick_wel...ger-beads.html
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Hayfarmer, The reason I used the backer was the day before I got there the rep had stopped by for something else & happened to discuss this with the mechanic. He described the way they fix it in their shop which uses the backer so that's what I did. I most likely wouldn't have backed it if it wasn't mentioned. The side plate was about 5/8" thick & the "ear" on the casting was about 1"? thick. The outsides were flush but the insides weren't. The 1/4" backer I used layed on the inside of the side plate & butted up against the casting "ear". The backer was hot rolled steel. I don't know for sure but I think the side plates are hot rolled steel also.

As far as stress risers, I'm no engineer so I couldn't begin to figure out if this will be one or not.

As far as ag vs. excavating equipment, I don't find them much different. At least with the newer ag stuff anyway.
    Last edited by MMW; 05-06-2013 at 06:21 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by admweld:307287
    There,s a dealer about 2 miles from shop.And ive worked on few also for them.
    I see.. from your reply I kinda assumed this was your first time ever seeing anything like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Hayfarmer, The reason I used the backer was the day before I got there the rep had stopped by for something else & happened to discuss this with the mechanic. He described the way they fix it in their shop which uses the backer so that's what I did. I most likely wouldn't have backed it if it wasn't mentioned. The side plate was about 5/8" thick & the "ear" on the casting was about 1"? thick. The outsides were flush but the insides weren't. The 1/4" backer I used layed on the inside of the side plate & butted up against the casting "ear". The backer was hot rolled steel. I don't know for sure but I think the side plates are hot rolled steel also.

As far as stress risers, I'm no engineer so I couldn't begin to figure out if this will be one or not.

As far as ag vs. excavating equipment, I don't find them much different. At least with the newer ag stuff anyway.
    So you had some input going in to it. I would have liked that myself. Im not an engineer (at least that type) either and I wonder how some field decsisions are made. Im not sure I would want to make those choices w/o considerably more knowledge.

I have really no experience in heavy equipment so its a black box to me. I would have thought the arms on machines like that would be made from some high strength alloy.

I see.. from your reply I kinda assumed this was your first time ever seeing anything like this.
    Ya i have not seen to much.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    Not just once either Joe.Five times.
    I'm amazed. There are 5 excavators in Delaware???????? And all of them cracked in exactly the same place????? No wonder they keep breaking there (a relatively low-stress point), they must be banging into each other every time they swing around. I suggest moving three excavators out of the state, thus leaving just enough room for the other two to work.

I would also suggest the resident "expert" concerning welding/repairs in that state, keep his mouth shut, otherwise some of the guys in neighboring states will realize how easy the competition is in Delaware. Heck, even I'm wondering. I came from Mass. originally, I'd have no problem going back. And "wire" isn't necessarily .035 hardwire, it's also the various dualshield wires and innershield wires, I can easily double or triple stick deposition rates, both flat or out of position.

My apologies to MMW, you posted a valid problem, and a correct solution to the problem. I admit, like you, I probably wouldn't have slugged the back of the weld, without specific advice to do so. With hindsight, I realize now this is probably the best way to approach this repair. Thanks for posting up, that's what this message board is for.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Hmmmn..... obviously there is a manufacturers problem here.. i really didnt think much about it, nor did i think i would get a bunch of **** about it. Komatsu is having problems with their robotic welds cracking on the main boom is several places.. Not on their newer models but older. Every one i have repaired has been far out of warranty. Theres lots of quite large excavators in good ole delaware.. mostly due to all the sand and gravel pits. I also do a little for komatsu dealer in baltimore. Since i have done them before they usually call me, and volvo, and cat, and kubota.. they do too. Soon i will have the case dealer too... hopefully. I used to do all their work when i worked for welding by jackson. Now when i worked for jacksons.. **** i couldnt even tell ya how many boom repairs i made for komatsu. Its kinda become a specialty.