Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default air carbon arc gouging?

Hello everyone I have been thinking about buying a air carbon arc gouging torch to add to my collection of toys, I would be running it on my TB302 was curious if they are worth while having I seem to get a nice but of heavy repairs on construction equipment between buckets, stick work and sometime work on the undercarriage I figured it would save me a lot of time with a grinder?? Hope someone has a better clue thane I have never used one

they work fine on the heavy stuff, we used them all the time in the ship yard, a good tool to have if your shop can handle the sparks, they can shoot over 50 feet, so one must be aware of that, noisy too

Do you have a good air supply? They tend to need a lot of air. I run an Arcair K2000 which is considered light duty. (see link below) It uses the least amount of air. I run it with an IR wheelbarrow type compressor that just barely keeps up. I also have a K4000 which uses a lot of air. I can only use this when I am at a customers shop that has a big compressor. When needed they are priceless IMO.

http://www.victortechnologies.com/ar...511110&W6Code=

PS - use ear plugs with them & watch where the sparks are shooting.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Air arc

I use them when fabricating and repairing mining equipment good for cutting our the weld or cutoff the old and on the new. As already stated need ear plus
    SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, FCAW
    ALL POISTIONS
    USN HT2 RET

Mostly use my Hypertherm 85 with gouge tip, you turn it up or down as needed. I bought another hose so i can just plug & go when need.
    Still keep carbon arc for hard to get into areas but hardly ever use it anymore

Ok thanks everyone for the info I am looking at the 4000 I believe it's called so by the sounds of it, it requires too much air and my air compressor won't keep up

Quote Originally Posted by rustymfg@hotmail.com View Post
    Ok thanks everyone for the info I am looking at the 4000 I believe it's called so by the sounds of it, it requires too much air and my air compressor won't keep up
    Reduce the size of the holes in the K-4000 down to the size of a K-2000. It will lower your air use to make it work just like a K-2000.

If you weld on heavy equipment a air arc is a must, you dont need a big one because you should only use 3/16" carbons of the Trail Blazer, You can run 1/4" rod but its not recommended.

A compressor with a 30 gallon tank Two stage with 13 HP honda will run it just fine.

The air compressor I have it a 5.5 horse Honda wheel barrel style and I have a volume tank I take also with it as well, what do you mean by reduce the hole side in the K-4000? I haven't really looked at one too close to know exactly how they work my one supplier has one on special right now and interested me

Quote Originally Posted by rustymfg@hotmail.com View Post
    The air compressor I have it a 5.5 horse Honda wheel barrel style and I have a volume tank I take also with it as well, what do you mean by reduce the hole side in the K-4000? I haven't really looked at one too close to know exactly how they work my one supplier has one on special right now and interested me

Look at a K-2000 (aluminum Jaws), and a K-4000, and you will see the different size air holes in the jaw tip.. It's copper, or some alloy of it, and you could tig weld/braze it up. I could give you the diameter of the K-2000 air holes if you like?