Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Aead 200le- new to me

Hi everyone.
    I had been looking for an engine-powered welder that would SMAW in both AC and DC as well as something I could use as a backup generator at the house when the power goes down.
    I decided to go with a late-80s era AEAD 200LE that I found on CL.
    The owner had it in his barn and it was covered with hay and sawdust. Luckily, he was still starting it and using it occasionally.
    The Onan engine runs really well and I really don't think that the machine has a whole lot of hours on it.
    I opened it up when we got her home and pulled out a mouse nest about the size of a basketball.
    Everything inside looks pretty well intact and my plan is to refurb it and use it.
    As I go along with the project, I am going to post pictures here and I would love to hear from anyone who has one/had one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow looks pretty good there's some guys here with those units they love them.

One of the best/smoothest welders ever made. It looks like it is in pretty good shape.. or did you repaint it?

Refurb it? That didn't take you very long.

Have you seen the condition of some AEAD rigs out there? Congrats on the find.

Awesome condition for an '87.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 05-03-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Thanks for chiming in guys.
    You're right Duane, maybe refurb is a little strong- maybe 'freshen it up a bit' is a better term.
    Weldonwelding- Nothing on the frame/engine/generator in those pics was painted by me, but I am detailing it like I detail my bike. I do have the sheetmetal at my buddies being sprayed though and I will post pics of those when they come back.

I changed the oil, put in fresh gas and plugs, and spent some time adjusting the idle last night after work. The previous owner had the idle cranked up pretty high and I think I've got it adjusted where it needs to be now (see pics).
    Warmed up and set on 'power', I adjusted it as close as I could get it to 60hz at 120V coming out of the receptacles.
    When I switch it over to 'weld', I adjusted the throttle for almost 100hz at 120V at the square receptacle.
    There is also a 240V single receptacle on the front panel that I haven't seen on the units that I've looked at on here and other forums.
    Can you guys tell me if that was a standard/an option/ or if it was added by a previous owner?

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLE View Post
    Thanks for chiming in guys.
    You're right Duane, maybe refurb is a little strong- maybe 'freshen it up a bit' is a better term.
    Weldonwelding- Nothing on the frame/engine/generator in those pics was painted by me, but I am detailing it like I detail my bike. I do have the sheetmetal at my buddies being sprayed though and I will post pics of those when they come back.

I changed the oil, put in fresh gas and plugs, and spent some time adjusting the idle last night after work. The previous owner had the idle cranked up pretty high and I think I've got it adjusted where it needs to be now (see pics).
    Warmed up and set on 'power', I adjusted it as close as I could get it to 60hz at 120V coming out of the receptacles.
    When I switch it over to 'weld', I adjusted the throttle for almost 100hz at 120V at the square receptacle.
    There is also a 240V single receptacle on the front panel that I haven't seen on the units that I've looked at on here and other forums.
    Can you guys tell me if that was a standard/an option/ or if it was added by a previous owner?
    In case you don't already know, you can download the specific owner's manual for your machine. You will find the manual under the Resources Tab on this site.

Entering the s/n from your machine will get the manual for that machine.
    If you just enter the model you will get the manual for the latest production of the machine.

HTH
    Griff

Those pics are great I sure would like to hear it running.

To compensate for governor droop (speed loss when loaded) no-load "power" frequency should be ~62-62.5Hz.

It may have been added by a previous owner as I don't see a rating reference for it on the faceplate but a 240V outlet was an option on the AEAD-200LE.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Thanks for the comments and info. guys.

Thanks Duane, I set the idle so she's running about 62-63 hz.

Today I removed the rest of the sheet metal and the faceplate. It looks like there was a short one time at the DC negative terminal (see pic.). I cleaned it up with a grinder and hammered it out before I sent it to my buddy's to get painted.

The other two pics are how she sits now in my carport. All of the tin and the running gear is off. This week will be degreasing the engine, cleaning up the terminals on the amperage selector, cleaning and clearcoating the faceplate, locating a small oil leak, and ordering up some plug wires, etc.

If anyone has any tips or advice on cleaning up this onan, I would greatly appreciate it. My plan is to wrap up the carb, coil, and solenoid and spray on some engine cleaner and then rinse it off.