Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default miller mig power cord extension

the guy i bought my mig welder from gave me an extension cord he made up. it is super heavy duty and about 50 ft long....problem is, it is still as can be... I have seen quality power cords that are totally limp. i imagine its the stranding on the copper wiring....

I searched for power cord extension online...but it isnt obvious if the feature of limpness that i am looking for is in the cord....

what is the type of cord i am looking for and how is it described...even better does anyone know where to buy one? single phase 240 volt 50 amps( millermatic 250.

I can use the one I have, but id rather get a more controlable cord

bob

I have one built out of 8/3 soow cord. Fairly flexible. I wonder if yours is made from romex ? That is not suitable for the application of extension cord!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Most people make their own up. If you want a 50ft cord then 8/3 so cord will be fine.. you will have trouble finding one already made up.. and if you do then it will be really expensive. Try your local electrical supplier

Just get raw wire from your local hardware store and put what ends match your receptacle and plug on welder. Sounds like maybe someone made your current cord out of solid wire and not stranded. Like Elvis said, this is not a good idea.

I use 6/3 SO or SJ cable(stuff that extension cords are made of),add the ends you want from Menards,Lowes or Home Depot.
    I have never seen a cord like this for sale commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Just get raw wire from your local hardware store and put what ends match your receptacle and plug on welder. Sounds like maybe someone made your current cord out of solid wire and not stranded. Like Elvis said, this is not a good idea.
    Slight correction- he needs CORD not wire.

Wire goes in the wall to feed a receptacle.

Cord is what you want for a power cord or an extension cord.

The price of cord is not cheap and the connectors are not exactly cheap either.

$123.00 for a pre-made Cord 50' cord
    http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/wel...y-duty-8-3-50/

Build yer own:
    $39.00 bux for connector set

8/3 cord runs around $1.75-2.00/ft

50'x 1.75 = $87.50 + $39.00 = $126.00
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

this is a great place to buy a ready made cord, the cost difference is moot. It calls for an 8,,,, this is at rated output,,, I use a 10 on occasion becaue I am small short circuit only but if you intend to wring the guts out of it in spray 8 is the right wire, works great for buzzers. Only reason not to use it is weight or because you already own something else and the demand is light.

its acyually a pretty rare day i have to use a cord for a welder, i will move or add outlet if there is much chance it will be a regular event. I had outlet 20 ft from hoist and i got a cord but it was well worth it adding another recept, same wire, not used same time and same breaker ratings.

Even though a compact can run on 50 I put 30 in at their "home" outlets, figure it cant hurt to close the gap a bit for free.

Broccoli is correct its called cord. My fault.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 05-03-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1:307162
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Slight correction- he needs CORD not wire.

Wire goes in the wall to feed a receptacle.

Cord is what you want for a power cord or an extension cord.

The price of cord is not cheap and the connectors are not exactly cheap either.

$123.00 for a pre-made Cord 50' cord
    http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/wel...y-duty-8-3-50/

Build yer own:
    $39.00 bux for connector set

8/3 cord runs around $1.75-2.00/ft

50'x 1.75 = $87.50 + $39.00 = $126.00
    What is a connector set? You just need a receptacle and a plug. They wire goes into them and under screws. This post is going complicated... for such a simple thing as a cord. Lowes carrys cord up to 10/3 at least the one by me does. And no one there will guide him like they should. That's why I said he needs to go to a electrical supplier.. they will set him up.