Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default HF Problems with Dynasty 200DX ?

I just bought my first welder, a new Dynasty 200DX. Reading through the owner's manual, as well as a couple of TIG books published by Miller, I see the diagrams of HF interference and best practices of grounding the body of pretty much every metallic object within a radius of 50 feet of the HF source - the welder. But none of the literature explains what types of actual problems could result from not doing this.

I am putting the welder in a free-standing, fully finished workshop about the size of a 2-car garage, with its own 200 Amp electrical service from a mast, garage door, AC heat pump out back with air handler in the attic, fridge, TV, etc. All of these items are grounded through their electrical wiring and the building's electrical system which I wired myself. I used two 8 ft grounding rods, installed per code.

My questions are:

1) What are the possible problems if I don't take any additional measures to
    ground these objects, and I use the welder in DC mode with HF start only?
    Will my TV, fridge, A/C equipment be damaged?

2) Will this equipment, if it is running, interfere with the welder's ability?

3) Will this only be a concern in AC welding?

Thank you.

I think you are good to go. Today's inverters don't use points anymore so HF interference is minimal. I do get a blip every once in a while on my DVD player out in the gargage, but that is it.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

shovelon is right, you shouldn't have any problems. Ive had my laptop with me in the garage many times without any issues. I also have a dynasty.

I think it depends on your environment. How close are your neighbors? Most electronics can withstand a certain amount of RFI (Radio Frequenct Interference). Actual damage to a device is possible but not very common outside the immediate proximity of the radiator. Malfunction of susceptible devices can be more common. Your heat pump could cycle unexpectedly for instance. What is probably a more important concern is if a neighbor complains to the FCC that they can't watch their afternoon game shows. That's interference with a licenced entity and you will be warned to cease operation of your equipment until you rectify the problem.The follwing is an exerpt from a report on FCC enforcement that demonstrates how seriously the FCC takes its mandate.

"Lopez was found by the FCC to be in violation Section 15.5(b) and (c) of the FCC’s rules by operating an incidental radiator and causing harmful interference. He was instructed by the FCC to “take immediate steps to ensure that he does not continue to cause harmful interference, including repairing or replacing his well pump and associated control circuitry.” The FCC advised Lopez that if he continues to violate the Communications Act or the FCC’s rules, it “may impose monetary forfeitures of up to $16,000 for each such violation, or in the case of a continuing violation, up to a maximum forfeiture of $112,500 for any single act or failure to act. In addition, violation of the Communications Act or the [FCC’s] rules also can result in seizure of the equipment through in rem forfeiture actions, as well as criminal sanctions, including imprisonment.”

I suspect that from a legal standpoint welding equipment manufacturers must cover the bases to limit their liability which as you can see can be substantial. I'd say try it out and see if there are any screaming neighbors brandishing pitchforks. If not you should be good to go. By the way sensitive electronics in close proximity to any strong electro-magnetic field, if they are not designed to be there, is probably not a real good idea. So don't wind your welding cables up on your Ipad while welding.--Meltedmetal

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad to hear the investment in the high technology may pay off in this area as well. Can't wait to start using this welder; has been over 15 years since I have welded anything. Just need a bottle of gas now. Steve