Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Bobcat 250 NT LP System Freezing Up

image.jpg
    Hi all,
    Found the forum researching LP freeze problem on one of my customers 250 NT. We're primarily a materials handling company but are trying to help out one of our good customers that is 60 mi away from a Miller dealer. We have plenty of experience working on all types of LP fuel systems but not so much when on an air-cooled engine.....this Bobcat has a Kohler CH 20. I'm fairly certain that this unit has been unaltered and has LP fuel as it's single fuel source and uses a 30 lb. forklift type tank that is setup for liquid delivery.
    I don't have a picture describing the fuel system on this particular machine but found one in the forum that's identical.....thanks to Dandeman for the picture that I've attached.
    The unit starts and runs fine but after 5 min. Of runtime the vaporizer....mounted close to the exhaust pipe....starts freezing up and eventually works it's way to the Nikki converter, customer says that according to what the ambient temperature is it might run for several hours with the system frozen or less if temps are lower. Naturally in this condition it's consuming too much fuel i.e. running very rich.

Serial # of this unit is LC653028
    Any help with this problem would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dino54

I've never ran into that with my lp bobcat250. Is it a temperature based problem? Like below 15*f or will it do it at room temperature? Are they running it with all of the covers on and closed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtow30t View Post
    I've never ran into that with my lp bobcat250. Is it a temperature based problem? Like below 15*f or will it do it at room temperature? Are they running it with all of the covers on and closed.
    I checked it while it was in their heated shop, only took 10 min. or so for it to start freezing up. All the covers are intact although that was one of my first questions as the LP components are exposed and wondered if there was a hinged door that covered the engine compartment but as in the attached pic and others I've seen, there isn't. If I can't come up with a conclusive answer maybe I'll have a door made up for it.

Thanks for the reply!

Mine has the propane line running down under the welder, I have a cover there. I'm not sure why it's freezing up on you, the cover was just a thought. Wish I could be more help

Ok I was looking at mine and thinking. Ibthink that the vaporizer needs to be rebuilt/replaced.
    When my fork lifts do that I replace the vaporizer and the vacuum fuel lock and then they work again
    Attached Images Attached Images

So heat the valve up with the likes of a 25 wt panheater,

Quote Originally Posted by bigtow30t View Post
    Ok I was looking at mine and thinking. Ibthink that the vaporizer needs to be rebuilt/replaced.
    When my fork lifts do that I replace the vaporizer and the vacuum fuel lock and then they work again
    Thanks for the parts breakdown, I ordered the repair kit, maybe that will fix freeze problem, can't hurt as the cost of kit is reasonable.

Default Freeze up

just one thing remember to check any o-rings on your connection its the same as any fork lift if its not sealed proper then the gas leak even small with the out side air temp being cold will cause a freeze up
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino54 View Post
    Thanks for the parts breakdown, I ordered the repair kit, maybe that will fix freeze problem, can't hurt as the cost of kit is reasonable.