Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default digital elite helmet freezing?

I have a digital elite helmet, perhaps 6 months old. It is randomly "freezing" in the darkened mode. Once this happens, none of the buttons will do anything. The only way I can figure out how to reset it is to remove the lens and pull out one of the batteries. Its a pain. This happens to me at least 2-3 times during a full day of work. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix easier than pulling out the battery?

If its that new I would return it.

Have it replaced under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by hyd View Post
    Is there a fix easier than pulling out the battery?
    Using a non-autodark shield?

That sure was helpful. Why doesn't he just not weld, that would solve the problem too.

Default digital elite helmet freezing?

Had that happen to a friend in class. Ended up having to garbage the whole thing and then he went out and bought a speedglas like he should have done to start with :P

After first five or six hours, my 9400 would freeze in a partially-dark condition on Weld and WeldX mode. LWS sent the lens unit in and of course Miller replaced it. The replacement was a blue-tinged silver metal to distinguish it from the previous, all-silver unit.

Over a year later and not another problem. I tig the heck out of it too.
    Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Using a non-autodark shield?
    Perhaps he was thinking along the lines of restarting its brains and/or reseating the battery. Stranger things have caused misbehaving electronics to work properly.

re Speeglas vs Miller
    I had the opposite experience. Initially bought Speedglas which died after 3 yrs. The Miller I got about the same time is still ticking right along. Ive decided the most reliable option is passive. Electronics are a crap shoot in the best of circumstances.