Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sounds like your building a pedestian bridge,you will need an engineer and I will guess you will be surprised by all the codes and regulations required to do this right, in the eyes of the law or in our trade AKA insurance companys.but if its privite you may be able to pass under the radar if you dare ,be careful and good luck,it sounds like an interesting job.

I have designed Skywalks before using both methods.
    The I beam system gives more options and looks so much better. It does cost more but it depends how much your client is willing to spend. The live load on the walkway will be large as it is going to be installed into an office. Deflection will determine the size of the members without doubt. As the other members suggested and you have come to the opinion this is an engineer project.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Default Handrail affecting beam size?

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

However, It does not make sense that you would not have a handrail, If the hand rail is done right you could use a much smaller beam.
    I am curious about the handrail affecting the beam size. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a handrail that would have any impact on the size of the beam. Can you show me a photo of an example? I suppose if you had solid sides going from the beam to the handrail, then the handrail would contribute somewhat to affecting the size of the beam, but the solid sides would probably have a larger effect.......

Richard
    Last edited by raferguson; 05-02-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

See previous post, bottom view where the handrail becomes a truss system to help carry the load.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Sure you have Raferguson there are examples all round you. The best example I can explain is road bridges, to be more exact 1920 steel hot rivet bridges that look like a mechano set. The side structure is a truss to take the vertical loads and the horizontal structure carries the wind load.
    Google "Cairo Mississippi River Bridge"

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it