Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well I did my first real project. It's made mostly from 1" square tubing about 1/16th thick. Welding a thin joint is much harder than laying down beads on a plate! My first attempt I blew right through the tube. To fix it I just let it cool down, built up some tacks, and flapper wheeled it smooth again.

Here is a butt joint (my best looking one). It's not the best looking weld in the world, but considering that this is just a simple rack that will hold almost zero weight, I think it will do.

I'm super impressed with this little welder. It really takes the guesswork out of welding when you know your combo works!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKMac; 05-07-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Stacked tacks, but glad to hear your enjoying the welder. To really lay a bead you will wanna start with 1/8 or heavier on a joint of some kind. 1/16 is gonna be a trick until you get the hang. Keep Layin wire!

Stack tacks, pretty much. It seemed almost easier to do a bunch of tacks together like that than just running a bead. My beads looked ok, but not as uniform as a bunch of tacks.

I had some pretty good looking corner welds, but I didn't get a picture of them before I painted.

Overall, I'm still having fun sticking stuff together!

Stacking tacks may be enticing by the look and the ease, but for any structural or critical weld it will not do. I know you are new so any practice is good, but running real beads is what you need to learn.

Sticking auto body panels or similar together is another story though. No way to run a bead on something like that. Just saying don't think you can stack tacks on plate and have adequate penetration.

Thanks for the advise. I will remember that in the future.

I guess I should have shown this picture. It has been painted, but you can still sort of see the welds. Same thing, 1" tubing, 1/16" thick on a 1/16th plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not bad at all just a fuzz of undercut on the left side, and the right weld was stopped a fuzz short of the end (assuming you we're welding right to left). Not trying to be critical, just trying to give feedback.