Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First time welding, miller 211

Hi guys.

I was in need of a small home shop welder. After reading the reviews I settled on a Miller 211 setup.

These are my very first welds on scrap 1/2 plate using both push and pull while making little circles on 110v.

My question is this. It appears that the weld is a little tall (excessive reinforcement). Is this because I was just laying down beads on a plate without a groove? Are my machine settings wrong? Am I doing something wrong? will 220v help? Or does this look normal for just laying down beads?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks a little cold but that's kinda what you get not welding a joint where you are filling a void of some sort. Try to do a v beveled butt joint on 1/8 if using 110. Are you using auto set?

Default First time welding, miller 211

Because your welding with a 110v welding machine on 1/2" steel. Too cold, wrong wire. Good looking weld though...

You've got the straight part going well for you.

I would recommend practicing on something thinner (1/8") so you can really see the weld bead bond with the material. About 1/8" is going to be the limitation of the 211 using 120V. According to the miller mig calculator 1/8" will require 140-150A for short circuit transfer.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...calculator.php

The 211 is only rated at 3/8" single pass (using 220V), so doesn't surprise me that the beads look tall like they are cold for that thickness of material.

That is an example of one of the precautions about mig how it is easy to lay down a bead that looks pretty even though it is way too cold for the thickness of metal being welded. You might think about making some practice T-joints and bending them over with a hammer to see how your welds hold up.

That looks pretty good for your first time. Im actually surprised how straight they are.... most first welds and quite a few after dont look that uniformed. Get some 3/16 steel plates and practice on that.

Thanks for the advise.

To answer some questions, yes I was using the autoset feature. I tried manual settings and couldn't really tell much of a difference. I'm also using .030 wire and 75/25 gas.

So I made a 55ft extension cord to run from the dryer outlet to the garage. Kind of hokey, but it works. It definitely made a huge difference with the heat! I'm much happier with these beads. There is a little more spatter, but considering that the plate has some light surface rust and I didn't prep it at all, I don't think that these are bad looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks a bit better. On the lower pic, the bottom bead you are moving too fast, on they same pic the bead above the bottom one on the left looks pretty good. Try a joint, looks like you got the basics down. Keep having fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Looks a bit better. On the lower pic, the bottom bead you are moving too fast, on they same pic the bead above the bottom one on the left looks pretty good. Try a joint, looks like you got the basics down. Keep having fun!!
    I was going to say the same thing about the travel speed too fast on the bottom bead, you beat me to it Cgotto6.

When you do get some thinner plate you might try stacking beads like your doing on flat plate to help you with watching the bead tie in with your last bead and the plate. Practicing that over and over will help get your travel speed and movement uniform.

I'd say your off to a great start. I had never used the autoset on my MM140 before I sold it since I only ran it on Flux wire (didn't have a bottle at the time).
    All I ever used was the chart settings and they really were a great starting point. Don't be afraid of using the chart setting to and fine tuning your wire speed and voltage a little here or there to really get a feel for how everything affects the beads.

A lot of people just set the machine and then jump to projects right away without learning how things affect the bead. Its great to see you are working on your beads first.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    That should slow him down fo' sho'
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Hey it's legal here in Washington, haha.