Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Splicing anchor chain

I just purchased another 100' of 3/8" anchor chain for my boat which i want to splice in with the chain i currently have. I know they make chain coupler which are basically two halfs which you put together and hammer these tabs (kind of like a rivet) to hold the two halves together. But what about cutting open one link of the chain and tig welding it back shut? Is there any reason why this can't be done? Seems stronger and cleaner then using one of these couplers. How would you guys splice chain? Thanks in advance.

Since you said boat, not ship... im gona assume that its not gona hold the weight that it is made to hold. I would just weld it with 70s6 filler, bevel it well so you get full pen.

How about using a SS rapid link and hit the threads with some red loctight.

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/image...apidlinkSS.pdf

Hi, here's a couple of u tube videos that will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_R4ifYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_R4ifYk

Nothing to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First post here. Figured I'd reply on something I have some experience.

I work for a distributor of all sorts of marine products. Primarily, anchors and chain. While I work in the machine shop, we have a few fabricators that have to join chain on a fairly regular basis.

Basically, you cut the link on one side allowing you to insert the end of the second chain. We use a few techniques, but basically, heavily bevel one side and weld. The opposite side is then beveled and welded. We are after a 100% weld. This is true of all chains we join to preserve the rated strength of the chain. A word of caution. Some smaller chain that may be used through a windlass will require the weld to be aligned on one side of the chain. Some windlass heads can't handle the width change.

Also, the proper way to join anchor chain without welding is with the use of a chain connection link or a kenter link. The kenter links come in various grades and are largely an import product making them somewhat more economical than the chain connecting link.

And regarding grades. If it is stud link chain, a stud that is not welded is considered grade 2 or mill, stud welded one side is grade 3, and stud welded both sides will be grade 4 or oil rig.

And to further muddy the waters, we sometimes wrap weld chain for use in the mining industry as chain curtain for the rock crushers, grizzly bar setups.

We have stuff from jack chain through 4"links. At hundreds of pounds per link. We even have anchors over 20k pounds for oil rigs. So I apologize if it's a bit TMI!

Dave
    Last edited by Fishin2deep4u; 05-07-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Good info fishinm thanks