Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default multimatic 200 welding AL without spool gun

I'm new to welding and got stupid question. Why do you need spool gun for Multimatic 200 to weld aluminum? Cant you put AL wire inside welder and use regular mig handle? Just wondering.

I am no expert but the literature says that aluminum wire, particularly the softer grades will not reliably push though the liner to the gun.(think rat's nest of wire at the feeder) Lincoln feeders have a different design that will feed 3/64" 5356 which is stiffer. They recommend a 10' lead maximum and to keep the lead as straight as possible and my local welding supply recommended to me that if I had more than a very limited amount of stuff to do, just get a spool gun. -Meltedmetal

I see, it makes sense.
    Thanks

Melted hit the nail on the head. Another way to go us some power sources can run a push pull gun system where in addition to the main drive system inside the machine, the torch has a small motor and drive wheels to help pull at the gun. Only high end machines can do this though. The advantage of this is to not to have a bulky 4" spool mounted to the gun.

I dont think a push/pull is an option w/ Zib's machine. It would be nic tho. If hes patient a spool gun will show up on ebay or craigslist for a good price.

Cant get all the toys at once
    Thanks for help

I tried to run some alum wire through mm 140 everybody needs to straighten the birds nest of wire where it comes off of the drive roller and enters the liner. You can get by a little while with 5356 but if you ever turn your gun to far you'll find why.

Wasn't saying he could run a push pull on his multimatic, just explaining the options of running aluminum mig.