Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tungsten

Default like weldon said....

I use pure on a synchrowave 180, and have used it with the 250, 350 and a portable hf-251d set up with no problems. I think there is some confusion in the posts here, Miller doesn't recommend using pure tungsten with any of the inverter machines. I think this point may have gotten lost in translation. As for the Ceriated tungstens, I think they are ok , but i personally prefer the 1.5 or 2% lanthanated. They seem to give the sweetest characteristics with all the gear i use. I see they are bringing the E3 tungsten out in a big way as the latest greatest thing for all things Tig welding. I have researched this and it seems to have very similiar composition to the 2% lanthanated. I understand it has lanthanated as well as rare earth components?
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Quote Originally Posted by sturugged View Post
    I use pure on a synchrowave 180, and have used it with the 250, 350 and a portable hf-251d set up with no problems. I think there is some confusion in the posts here, Miller doesn't recommend using pure tungsten with any of the inverter machines. I think this point may have gotten lost in translation. As for the Ceriated tungstens, I think they are ok , but i personally prefer the 1.5 or 2% lanthanated. They seem to give the sweetest characteristics with all the gear i use. I see they are bringing the E3 tungsten out in a big way as the latest greatest thing for all things Tig welding. I have researched this and it seems to have very similiar composition to the 2% lanthanated. I understand it has lanthanated as well as rare earth components?
    E3 is 1.5% lanthanum with trace amounts of yttrium and zirconium.

Pure "is" commonly used with sinewave tigs. Lots of people still use it.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...lectrode-guide
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Tried E3 on alum. Have to say it is not half bad.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Default tungsten

Bought the last 3-pure our LWS had in stock. He said can't reorder? Going to E3 in future.
    Tried the E3 today with dynasty on small Alm job
    Same opinion as shovelon not to bad.