Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default good article for noobies to read concerning welding heat and brake cleaners

Never use brake cleaner to clean anything even close to what is going to be welded.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Default good article for noobies to read concerning welding heat and brake cleaners

That is really scary! I am guilty of doing that too and I'm sure many others. It is amazing that the common everyday tasks we encounter can be so dangerous given a small change in routine.

I am not an expert on this but just passing along what I have been told & read.
    Always be careful with mixing welding & any chemicals.

To make phosgene gas you need chlorine. The red cans of brakekleen are chlorinated. The green cans are non-chlorinated. The red cans are what you should stay away from. By me they don't even sell the red cans anymore. The green cans don't work very well for cleaning greasy stuff for welding.

Again this is what I have read & heard I have no facts. If you look at the photo in the article it is of a red can.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

When I was about 16yo I was working on a greasy hay bailer... cleaned it with brakleen. Then struck a 6011 on it, as soon as I struck the arc it felt like someone punched me in the chest. It took my breath away immediately and I thought I was gonna die... but I got my breath back and was OK obvioulsy.. its been over 15 yrs ago. I learned the hard way but was pretty lucky, I was outside so I couldn't imagine if I was in a shop with no air moving, I probly wouldn't be here to tell it

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    When I was about 16yo I was working on a greasy hay bailer... cleaned it with brakleen. Then struck a 6011 on it, as soon as I struck the arc it felt like someone punched me in the chest. It took my breath away immediately and I thought I was gonna die... but I got my breath back and was OK obvioulsy.. its been over 15 yrs ago. I learned the hard way but was pretty lucky, I was outside so I couldn't imagine if I was in a shop with no air moving, I probly wouldn't be here to tell it
    I have been reading labels now for a long time. Glad your OK, that would be one bad experience.