Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default mig welding issue

I have been practicing with my new aluminum spool gun and have been haveing a few issues. I am welding 1/8" aluminum with 5356 .030 wire using a millermatic 210. I have it dialed in so that I have a nice spray transfer and the weld is looking nice, once I get going. But the first inch of weld seems to not be hot enough and the weld doesn't melt in very good, once I get going the weld looks nice and then at the end of the weld there seems to be to much heat and the metal melts away. Is this a common problem with mig aluminum on 1/8". Would a bit of preheat on the first inch or so help out for the first part and if I stop for a minute before I reach the end, let it cool some then weld the last bit.
    Last edited by Stomper; 04-27-2013 at 08:07 PM.

turbo38t Guest

Ahhhhh......aluminum.......I'd say you may need a hair more voltage and a a hair more and a half wire speed....aluminum gets hot.....just practice.....it always takes time to set up a spoolgun....
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
    I have been practicing with my new aluminum spool gun and have been haveing a few issues. I am welding 1/8" aluminum with 5352 .030 wire using a millermatic 210. I have it dialed in so that I have a nice spray transfer and the weld is looking nice, once I get going. But the first inch of weld seems to not be hot enough and the weld doesn't melt in very good, once I get going the weld looks nice and then at the end of the weld there seems to be to much heat and the metal melts away. Is this a common problem with mig aluminum on 1/8". Would a bit of preheat on the first inch or so help out for the first part and if I stop for a minute before I reach the end, let it cool some then weld the last bit.

Will I have to pick up a bit more travel speed near the end to keep from burning through the last bit of metal.

turbo38t Guest

No.....that is that fine line of too much wire, not enough voltage and aluminum......practice....
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
    Will I have to pick up a bit more travel speed near the end to keep from burning through the last bit of metal.

Thanks. I will practice and play with my settings until I figure it out.

You should have it set so that the first inch is good, then pull the trigger, push the gun, and haul ass. It is a lot different than short circuit MIG on steel

Try using 4043. The smaller machines dont do very well with 5356