Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Wasp won't sting ! please help !

Hi all just joined after reading some of the great info here by those that know allot more than me ! My machine sat all winter and when I fired it up a couple weeks ago no output ! It is a 1967 Airco Wasp {made by Miller** Mod. 2.25A/AMEL-A ser#R395785 . I took the shroud off and cleaned a bunch of contacts etc. still nothing ,All the leed connectors have been cleaned and I have tryed every thing right back to the tails directly off the front pannle . I have DC power to the aux outlet but no AC power on the side outlets ? I have not tried ac weld output because I need DC ! I have not looked at the back side of the buss bar board because from what I can see that is all good I cleaned the contacts for the switch . This machine seems simple enough everything is real basic but I just cant figure it out ! I also cleaned the copper rings that the brushes ride on and did find one of the side by side smaller brushes was stuck so I freed that up . I also emoried the back side of the amp adjuster dial but that looked good anyway . I don't own a tester but can get one if need be . I have the manual and think I understand what parts are what ,but any sugestions please be descriptive in were I am looking . Thank you in advance for any help ! I desperatly need my machine to work !

Welcome to the forum.

Default Wasp won't sting ! please help !

How sure of your ground are you?

Check for corrosion at the field current trim resistor tap strap.
    CIMG2254B.JPG

Not uncommon for rust build-up to cause loss of continuity at this point resulting in no field voltage getting to weld/power rotor.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Hooooyaahhhh I got ark ! Went out this morning and took a long hard look at all my conections cleaned a bunch of spade connectors etc took my time and even made a new ground lead etc . cranked her up and made blue light ! I have never not had my machine and was worried sick that it was done ,but once again it has pulled through for me ! So today I'm gonna be burnnin some low hi in the sun ! Thanks to those who responded ! You gave me some direction to look and I think it must have payed off ! I would like to stick around here for a while .I see a bunch of topics that interest me ! Talk soon guys !