Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    I replace the cords on my own grinders when needed. I bought a roll of 14-3 so or sa cord, i cant remember exactly what the cord is but its the more expensive of the 2 types of cords that lowes stocks. And another thing i havnt done yet but already bought the stuff for is switch everything over to twist lock... the reason for that is to keep the cord short. With a short cord 2' or less you dont have to wrap it up, and with a standard plug you will have to tie a knot which will get in the way while your using it...u following me so far? I think the reason your cords break at the grinder is because of the way it has to get wrapped up. It usually pulls the cord tight at the grinder.
    I like swivel whip hoses on my air tools to be 4' long so the connection doesn't get caught on anything under the hood. I would think 2' is right there in the way, just my opinion of course .

My Milwaukee Hole Shooters disconnect right at the handle out of the way.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-29-2013 at 10:33 AM.

I like swivel whip hoses on my air tools to be 4' long so the connection doesn't get caught on anything under the hood. I would think 2' is right there in the way, just my opinion of course .

My Milwaukee Hole Shooters disconnect right at the handle out of the way.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. But its a different story, air tools are used under hoods where an electric grinder isnt as much needed. Besides... the twistlocks are coated with rubber and their pretty slim. Im gonna try it, and will work out the kinks as i find em.. what gave me the idea was in a pinch one day my cord broke at 2' 1'' and i ended up cutting it at 2' .. it worked pretty good exept it kept coming unplugged until i tied it then the knot got in the way. I worked in a plant where everything was up to date inspected and it was all twistlock, everything. It was all uniformed, very neat, and mostly way overdone.

I like the twist lock conversion idea. Like you said tying the cord in a knot to the extension always gets hooked on stuff. And Milwaukee's design with the quick disconnect on the hole shooters is sweet. Wish more tools had it. If it wears no brainer to replace

I like the twist lock idea myself, I imagine you can buy extension cords with twist lock ends, right? Right now I have a 12 ga extension cord with a three way outlet that hangs down from the rafters about three feet off the welding table, It's kept wire damage problems down for me, really handy too.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit:306886
    I like the twist lock idea myself, I imagine you can buy extension cords with twist lock ends, right? Right now I have a 12 ga extension cord with a three way outlet that hangs down from the rafters about three feet off the welding table, It's kept wire damage problems down for me, really handy too.
    I dunno if you can buy em or not. U buy the end, cut the cord and put the twistlock on. The application for this would be more useful in the field im thinking. Thats most of my work

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    I dunno if you can buy em or not. U buy the end, cut the cord and put the twistlock on. The application for this would be more useful in the field im thinking. Thats most of my work
    It's definitely and improvement. I hate cutting off molded plug ends. It would be nice if they made adapters that could be attached permanently to a regular plug.

Maybe molded ears on the adapter for passing a nylon wire tie through and for the plug end a split ring with holes for passing the nylon wire ties through would work. Now to find a plastic mold set up on e bay.

Buy good plugs and cut the wire that goes in the plug as short as possible. You will appreciate a replacement plug alot more. I paid close to 20 bucks a piece for the twistlocks. And the standard plugs i bought before were the best of the best about 15 bucks a piece, but well worth it

Default Big Business Greed

This is why I hate big businesses and greedy CEO's. Over 25 years ago I bought two Makita grinders. They have been used hard in my welding shop and have over-heated and shut themselves off more times than I can count. But that didn't mean they were done for. See the little button just above the cord on the attached photo? It's a re-set button. Let the grinder cool off, punch the re-set and you are back in business.

Do you think these corporations have somehow forgotten that technology? Nope, it's called built-in obsolesence. Build a crappier product that fails and you can sell more of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswelding:306907
    This is why I hate big businesses and greedy CEO's. Over 25 years ago I bought two Makita grinders. They have been used hard in my welding shop and have over-heated and shut themselves off more times than I can count. But that didn't mean they were done for. See the little button just above the cord on the attached photo? It's a re-set button. Let the grinder cool off, punch the re-set and you are back in business.

Do you think these corporations have somehow forgotten that technology? Nope, it's called built-in obsolesence. Build a crappier product that fails and you can sell more of them.
    You have a good point. One of the company's I worked for had a very old all steel, heavy, 9" grinder that would rip you off a ladder with ease... Yep it threw me on a big pile of rocks at a stone and gravel plant. You couldn't kill that thing with 3 Paul bunyons behind it. I hated that grinder with a passion. My boss was about 75 yo, best welder I've ever seen, hardest worker I ever seen, he was old school to the bone, in fact welding killed him with cancer in the bones. He made me use that grinder every day, if I had it now it would be my go to large grinder

I like no whip on air, connect right at the tool. Especially in the shop where changeout rate is hi.