Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Amazon had theses on sale for about $35 dollars, they came with 5 or 6 grinding
    wheels and the case. It's not a high amp motor but I'm going to use it for slicer wheels.

Spare 5" rat tail, I was going to put a 6" wire wheel on it but never did.

Last edited by tackit; 04-28-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Default metabo cust. service

You mean metabos don't have that nice heated housing and burnt plastic scented feature that activates after using it for a couple hours like the dewalts and most others? That's a shame. How do you prove you've been actually grinding ?

Quote Originally Posted by tackit:306761
    Amazon had theses on sale for about $35 dollars, they came with 5 or 6 grinding
    wheels and the case. It's not a high amp motor but I'm going to use it for slicer wheels.

Spare 5" rat tail, I was going to put a 6" wire wheel on it but never did.

I also bought this same thing from Lowes. It was around the same price. And I also have a 7" Hitachi. I think I got the 7" from tractor supply... I don't use a 7" or a 4 1/2 very much, I use my 6" mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan128:306763
    You mean metabos don't have that nice heated housing and burnt plastic scented feature that activates after using it for a couple hours like the dewalts and most others? That's a shame. How do you prove you've been actually grinding ?
    I don't. You can take it or leave it. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry:306753
    I see,,, ok,, how about this, learn to be a bit better welder and you wont have to be such a grinder.
    I will have to do that.. I learn something new everyday but will that save my grinders from being used? I do lots of dump truck floors, steel and aluminum. And my helpers mostly do the grinding, their learning just like everyone else. In my world you do your grinding before you weld so I don't think it will help but maybe you know something I don't....?

In a 6 inch the aspects of the particular models may be different. I am no stranger to burnt up Dewalt grinders, B&D before that. I liked the feel of them when I was using them a lot. They souped up the current numbers on them, put them in the same chassis and if you ran them like you were mad at it poof, pretty easy to overheat and a hundred bucks out the window and I know its tuff to swallow but would 2 or 3x rather have the cord that comes on the cheap version.

I have never overheated a Walmart one, its got good power. Pick one up sometime feel how heavy it is. I gave a couple away, I put one dedicated to the bench where the use was quite high just to see how long it would last, it finally gave out a switch after it outwear a Dewalt about 3 to 1. And after about 3secondsfs never give it second thought there is 100 difference in price.

I know you are a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry:306785
    In a 6 inch the aspects of the particular models may be different. I am no stranger to burnt up Dewalt grinders, B&D before that. I liked the feel of them when I was using them a lot. They souped up the current numbers on them, put them in the same chassis and if you ran them like you were mad at it poof, pretty easy to overheat and a hundred bucks out the window and I know its tuff to swallow but would 2 or 3x rather have the cord that comes on the cheap version.

I have never overheated a Walmart one, its got good power. Pick one up sometime feel how heavy it is. I gave a couple away, I put one dedicated to the bench where the use was quite high just to see how long it would last, it finally gave out a switch after it outwear a Dewalt about 3 to 1. And after about 3secondsfs never give it second thought there is 100 difference in price.
    I do like the dewalt 12 amp 4 1/2". I have a few of them in a box that someday when I get the time they will make one good one. I also use the dewalt portaband... It has held up well, only thing I've done to that is change the gear oil and blades

6" is my favorite grinder too. I like the balance rat tails give, to me they don't tire the hands as much as a barrel grinders do, must be the rat tail handles are thinner making them more comfortable to hold.

Cool

We have over 350 Metalbo's at work. They are like the rest of them they wear out. I have been there just over a year and have had 5 new ones and a few rebuilts. But this shop requires every weld to be ground or wire brushed smooth and zero splatter anywhere so they take a beating, prob better than any other brand...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48