Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default stick welding open root

I am in my 3rd week of stick welding and having trouble getting consistent penetration on the bottom side. Instructor has us doing our root pass with 6010 3/32 electrode flat position. Any help or tips?

Are you doing it flat, like tacked to a table in your booth, or flat overhead.... also where are you going to school....

Oh and which way are you running it. Pulling it to you or away from you....

Flat position. 2 pieces I guess 1/8 1 inch wide 4 in long. I'm going left to right.

Give me a call, its easier to explain. 5737052396. Or I can call you

Everyones sleeping in the house. Had a bad day at school. Going in early tomorrow. Need some tips. I have been ahead of the class and now I'm struggling.

Ok. So open root 1G. This is how I do it. So I will start with the prep for the weld. First thing I do when I'm testing is clean the whole plate both sides and the bevel and make sure before you put your land on that it is straight.... it super sucks to have an uneven gap.... you need you fit up to be the best it can possibly be for a test.

After I make sure my plates are **** near perfect I clamp them to somthing and put a 3/32 land on them both then recheck to make sure they are straight. The next thing I do is get a piece of Tig wire fold it into a bend to gap my plates. I also gap it at 3/32.

Next I lay my plates flat on the table to get it tacked together. The first tack I put in at 3/32. The next I gap at 1/8 in and it usually pulls when I weld it to right at 3/32. Everyones different though...... Dont get in a hurry... is this helping at all... I'll keep going.

Ya its helpful