Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default stick welding open root

Had to be 1/8" not 3/32 6010 .... Doesn't add up . No one runs 6010 3/32 rod that hot . I don't use the crap often its baby rod but if I was going to run a root pass it would be in the mid 60's now 1/8" runs great at 89-95 . I just fired up a 3/32 6010 rod at 90 ha!!! It is like a cutting torch . I call bullsh*t. Kid your running 1/8 . There is no way your sticks when you drop below 90 with a 3/32 rod 6010. Heck not even 7018 you could run that cold at 87 amps all day
    Last edited by drpipe; 05-01-2013 at 01:46 AM.

I swear I was running 3/32 6010 that's what I was supposed to use. My machine(lincoln) at school runs hot. I'm not bull****ting I'm here to get help so I'm not lying. I'm running it at 80 amps now without sticking..... The sticking was a problem w technique not heat.

Drpipe ? Really... how much 6010 have you did? I personally have used so much its pathedic... I run my root in at 90-95 amps like clockwork,. Now it is the very top of the range on the rod but definatly not bull****. I call bull**** on the "drpipe." This kids just starting out and coming here for advice. If ya cant try to help the kid out shut the **** up or try to stay true to the forum topic.

I don't know why u call 3/32 a baby rod? All rods hv there place!! I was finishing a dozer repair today, I ran 3/32, 1/8, & 5/32 rods all day long. I sure didn't feel like a real man when I was running the 5/32 rods.
    A big tree took out the A/C cage on top rear of cab. Had to cut off & make a new one, most of it was 1/8 & 3/16. Fab. most of it in shop then fit & finished in field. Used 3/32, 7018 rods between 80 to 100 amps. I adjusted amps a lot as my welding required ie. up, down, flat, different thickness, corner, butt etc. welded great!!
    7018's run at higher amps but that was thin metal and I was on the cold side of how I normally weld.
    Likewise had to plate & repair blade, used a lot of 7018, 1/8 rods. Ran them 140-150 amps.
    I do all kinds of fab & repair work with all different metals and I weld in and out of the recommended ranges all day long. There a good starting point but in the real world we learn what works best and build on that. The day I quit learning is the day I will look for another job.
    Practice & learn there is no limit. Good Luck.
    Greg

Thanks Greg

Ditto! Thanks Greg.

MillerCasey: I ran a couple 6011 rods on my Dynasty this morning. Most of my work is mig & when using stick I normally use 7018 so I wanted to run a couple to refresh my memory.
    Here is results. Wide range was 60 to 90 amps.
    No penetration at 40 to 50 amps.
    95 to 100 was just to hot, no control, splatter, etc
    70 to 80 amps ran good. And I settled in at 80 amps. Working best on some scrap metal.
    I also just burnt one 3/32 7018 rod and it ran about 10 to 20 amps hotter @ 90 to 100 amps
    But as we all know all welders run different and u realy need to find the sweet spot and make light adjustments from there as conditions change.
    Remember the old saying. The proof is in the pudding. Test your work, learn & adapt from there. Look forward not back you'll do fine.
    Hope this helps. God Bless Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Missouripipewelder View Post
    Drpipe ? Really... how much 6010 have you did? I personally have used so much its pathedic... I run my root in at 90-95 amps like clockwork,. Now it is the very top of the range on the rod but definatly not bull****. I call bull**** on the "drpipe." This kids just starting out and coming here for advice. If ya cant try to help the kid out shut the **** up or try to stay true to the forum topic.

Don't pay any attention to Dr. Pipe as he usually has nothing positive to say about anything. This guy is a jerk and I think he works in a shop and is probably just learning to weld and has a low self esteem that he tries to boost by trash talking. You have to feel sorry for people like him.

Wheelchair

True wheelchair, very true. It just pisses me off because I was there before and it really.sucked to get a smart a** answer for an honest question.