Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default stick welding open root

As we know all welders are different. But also depends on rod manufacturer.
    Was welding cast with 1/8 Nickel rod last week and ran out. LWS is 30 mile away, so went to local auto parts store & grabed 1-lb. Nickel rod.
    As per box recommendation there was 40 amp. Difference. Both 1/8 " and both 55% just different mfg. look on box just to be sure.

Like I said yesterday.... if you keep everything the same... ROD, GAP, TEMP, and just tweek your movement and positioning you will get it. Now I agree with the temp adjustment I've been welding since I was 13 in FFA, So for me 90-95 amps is more plausible than someone just starting. That being said. When you drop the amps and it sticks it could be that your rod angle isnt right or that your overall technique needs work....whatever you do dont quit... Burn rods til you get it and dont look back!!

In response to what you said about the sound.... it sounds like frying bacon... that what they taught us to listen for too!

Quote Originally Posted by Missouripipewelder View Post
    In response to what you said about the sound.... it sounds like frying bacon... that what they taught us to listen for too!
    OK, OK...maybe frying bacon is a TINY bit more PC than a horse pissing in a bucket....But DO listen for the sound...there are some good clues there!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Default open root

take your time. it takes time. i always say the fit up of the joint is 75% of the end result.
    heck with it .you will learn. learn by doing things.
    someone once said: there are no mistakes in life just lessons. so learn your lesson and continue.

Default aced it

Just an update. I got a %100 on the open root last week and a %100 on every project in flat position. Now we are in.horizontal this week.

Congrats... keep up the good work. Where you going to school at?

New Castle School of Trades

Tips on welding open root in horizontal??

Same temp, gap, and land as flat just grind your tacks, make sure that their tied in and jam that rod in there and dont get frustrated..... also somethin that helped me was to tack it up at eye level and use a C clamp vise grip to prop my elbow on. Worked good for me to have an arm steady. Good luck man.