Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default thanks

Pipe is something I'm interested in so it kills me to struggle on this.

Everything you are doing is preparation for pipe. 1g is the top of the pipe, 3g is going vertical up the side and the bottom is the overhead, just remember the better you are at the plates the easier the pipe will be. You'll do great just stay calm and dont rush it. You have to like what it looks like, you are you biggest critic.. atleast you should be...

The school I went to all of the instructors had tons of Job experiance and welded tons of hours just to have a chance to teach. Good thing about that for me was that I could reason with someone who had been there and done it before.

Hit me up anytime, my number is in one of the first messages. Let me know how it goes too. good luck and God bless brother.

Thank you

No problem.

Default stick welding open root

3/32 6010 at 90-95 amps? Way to hot yo.

Quote Originally Posted by BearM View Post
    3/32 6010 at 90-95 amps? Way to hot yo.
    I was wondering about that too.

Millers stick weld calculator shows 40-85A for 6010/6011 3/32" rods. I know you can probably run it hotter and travels faster, but isn't it advised to stay within the specified parameters?

I know that one problem I had when learning open root was that not really being able to see a puddle bothered me and, for some reason I wasn't PUSHING the rod into the weld far enough...so the instructors were on me to be constantly aware of the need to SHOVE THAT ROD IN THERE and keep shoving it in there!!!! The other thing that, for me anyway, was a great help with getting the rod in far enough to produce a good weld in the gap and get a good fill when you checked out the back side was that one of the instructors said to me that "The sound you get when you have the rod in far enough and are making a good root pass in the gap is like what you'd imagine it to sound like if a horse were peeing in a bucket." Now, I know that sounds like a sort of strange thing to think about when you are welding, but it sure did work for me and my welds improved like RIGHT NOW!!

Good luck and I hope that helps some.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Default amps

I'm running a Lincoln at school and find if I drop my amps below 90 my rod sticks. I'm going to try lowering my amps today and adjusting techniques. And suggestions for how to run on lower amps???