Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

After you have both tacks in flip your plate over and you will need to prep your tacks, basically your grinding them out thata way there is a knife edge on the startup spot and the ending spot. The reason you do this is because if you dont you will have incomplete fusion.

Default technique

I'm looking for techniques. I'm.using a Lincoln on DC. I'm not sure if I should sit or stand. Weld right to left or front to back.......

After you have your tacks ready its time to test.... ask questions... does this gap look good, is my land even, just incase.... two heads are better than one. What temp did you run yours at before I continue.

I'm trying to find a good temp as a beginner I'm @ about 90-95 amps.

I keyhole mine I will start out Left and move to the right. When I start out its usually around 95amps. When I starton my tack I make sure as I move ove the edge of the tack that I blow through the part I knife edged. That makes sure that its tied in. After that I use whipping motion to from the left to the right, I just make sure that I watch my weld to insure that the keyhole stays open as you go to the right you look for that keyhole to open up. When it does you move back to the left to put some more of your weld in and just do it at a consistant pace.

90-95 is great man, thats a really good temp to start at. As you get better you can try different stuff. Until you get it how you want it though just do all of the steps the same. If YOU do everything the came everytime and it works then you can try to make it your own and tweek the technique.

Another thing that helped me was disconnecting my stinger and doing it with out striking up. That can help with keeping your pace the same all the way through the coupon

Is it just the root giving you problems or is the hot pass too?

Just getting penetration with these 3/32 electrodes and finding a good temp and speed to work at.

Hey man my name is David, I went to Missouri Welding Institute, I understand about being ahead and then struggling. I didnt have any problems until I got to overhead plates. Dont get down on yourself. I can shoot you pointers anytime man I love helping people.