Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Newbie question on Diversion 180

Just fired up my new welder and realized I don't exactly know how to purge the argon from the system once I am done and want to close the valve on the tank. I've read lots of books on gas welding because I have one of those also and they always say to bleed off any air in the hoses when done and spin the knob out on the regulator to take tension off the spring. In my case, I just struck an arc on a scrap and let the argon flow until it was gone. It got noisy when the argon was done and then I stopped the arc. It's the only way to do that, right? Do I need to worry about that or can I just close the valve on the tank and leave the pressure in there? I weld very infrequently. I am new to this and want to make sure I do everything right without damaging anything. I love the 180. Just took a class and TIG was just too cool. I plan to do some light fabrication in my garage. It's a great welder.

I always just turn off the machine, close the tank valve and walk away.

It won't hurt to back the regulator off and bleed the pressure down, but I'm not sure how much difference this makes to the life of the regulator or gas valve. If I were going to bleed the pressure down I wouldn't strike an arc. Just press the foot pedal with the torch in the air. The gas valve will be open while the torch is hot even if there is no arc.

Congratulations!

What I do is just shut off the tank, hold the torch in the air and pop the pedal. After a few seconds you will see the pressure left in the reg go to zero.

I don't back off the spring because I use the machine every day. And when I set it I leave it alone for the next day. Otherwise don't unwind the screw until you purge the line.

Just a thought. On first arc strike of the day, pop the pedal to prime the line with gas. Keep the torch in the air so you don't kill the tungsten. Many people including myself do that for a little more preflow on critical weldments.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by FernTJ View Post
    I always just turn off the machine, close the tank valve and walk away.

It won't hurt to back the regulator off and bleed the pressure down, but I'm not sure how much difference this makes to the life of the regulator or gas valve. If I were going to bleed the pressure down I wouldn't strike an arc. Just press the foot pedal with the torch in the air. The gas valve will be open while the torch is hot even if there is no arc.
    I am also one that just closed the tank and walks away. If I don't see gas pressure the next day, I know I have a leak somewhere, which I hate.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

As a reminder, make sure you open the tank valve fully. It should be what is called ,''backseated''. Open valve as far as it will go to help prevent leaking at the valve.

Another one here who just turns off the machine and closes the valve. Never had a problem. Sometimes I don't use it for 2 months. No problems after 4 years.

Thanks all. I have not yet tried out the pedal, so that's good to know. I have the button on the torch do do the same. No need to strike an arc, just bleed it off. I guess I am more worried about the gas in line because I was in the frame of mind from my oxy acetylene rig where gases are fuel and you don't want them around when not using them. That's not an issue here! Thanks!