Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

First I'll say you are very patient. I feel bad for anyone who has these problems that don't get fixed. What are the odds of three regs being bad?

The high side of the reg should not bleed off into the low side. I might expect it from an old used reg but not a new one. Since you purged the tank valve before installing the reg I would think that no foriegn objects were pushed into the reg itself. Only disassembly would tell though. I wish I had a way to fix it for you.

Do you know of anyone local with a welder that you could borrow their reg?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Ask them if you can make up the difference between the regulator and a new flow meter/regulator gage.

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    First I'll say you are very patient. I feel bad for anyone who has these problems that don't get fixed. What are the odds of three regs being bad?

The high side of the reg should not bleed off into the low side. I might expect it from an old used reg but not a new one. Since you purged the tank valve before installing the reg I would think that no foriegn objects were pushed into the reg itself. Only disassembly would tell though. I wish I had a way to fix it for you.

Do you know of anyone local with a welder that you could borrow their reg?
    MMW, if I were doing this for a living it might not be as patient, but since I grew up welding I plan to keep up my practice mainly as a hobby and for helping out friends. I may make a few pits and sell them if I get time, but right now I have other projects going on to.

In 20 years I have never had regulator issues like this. Never once have I ever had a problem with Oxy/Acet torch regulators, but maybe I was just lucky? Never did I have issues with our shop torch regulators, nor on the welding trucks.

I always crack the tank valve before installing the regulator to make sure nothing from the threads will get pushed into the regulator. I inspected the tank threads to make sure there were not metal shaving or foreign material present. And before installing the regulator hose to the welder even purged the hose with the regulator to make sure nothing in the hose (if present) would get pushed into the welder.

I don't know any welders around that I could borrow a reg from.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Ask them if you can make up the difference between the regulator and a new flow meter/regulator gage.
    Well, I called but the guy at the out of town AirGas was out to lunch so I used some of my lunch break to go visit the local AirGas. Show the sales man in there and a Lincoln rep the videos and pictures and the Lincoln rep said the leaking on to the low pressure side can be caused over time from a gauge sitting with the screw left adjusted in and over time if its adjusted a small crack can occur that can let the gas pass through. He said it would only be a matter of time until it would fail completely. The Lincoln rep said the issue with the needle not returning to 0 (the pin) can be due to the gauge (I assume meant the low pressure side?) being over pressured and that causes some copper piece to deform. He suggested since it was "new", to send it back in for a replacement, so I think I will be looking to replace this one too.
    You'll have to understand I don't know the correct terms for the internal parts of these gauges, so I can't spit out exactly all they told me. I just expect the gauges to work when I go to use them. When they have always worked fine in the past, there was no need to learn about them further.

When I called the out of town AirGas back he said the Miller guy told him he tested the gauge to make sure it would work. I guess I'm wondering why he didn't catch that the low pressure needle was not at 0 (the pin) ?

When I told him what the Lincoln rep at the other AirGas store said (basically that the gauge had to be a rebuild since the creeping low pressure side would have been caused by the screw being left screwed in under pressure over time and then the crack forming) he said he was lying. He then gave me the number for the guy at Miller who checked the gauge (Kevin).

So when I get time I will call Kevin and see what he says.

And round and round this goes....

Which one would you suggest I ask them about? I have really no experience in buying regs or flow meters so I wouldn't know the pros and cons of each.

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    Which one would you suggest I ask them about? I have really no experience in buying regs or flow meters so I wouldn't know the pros and cons of each.
    I like this one, check with them just to be sure your hose will work, it will save you $20. 5/8-18 RH threads is what the new flow meter says it has.

http://store.cyberweld.com/smflreh11...pdItemDataTabs
    Last edited by tackit; 05-08-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Looked at it again last night and it is still doing the same thing with the needle not going down to zero (the pin). When pressing the mig trigger the low pressure needle drops a little more (about 1 cfh before) by about 2 cfh now and holds.

Turned off the bottle with the low pressure needle reading 25cfh and the high pressure side reading about 2300 PSI.
    Checked on it this morning to look for leaks and see if it crept higher and the high pressure needle had dropped a lot and the low pressure side had increased to past 35 cfh.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gii67i5heb...509_074100.mp4

I would be running a flow meter even if the reg was perfect.

I agree with tackit. This is what I am running. You can often find it on eBay cheaper.
    http://www.usaweld.com/Welding-Flowmeter-p/12020-f.htm

I would be running a flow meter even if the reg was perfect.
    Why would you spend the money on a flow meter if you had a perfectly good regulator that measured flow rates (just without the floating ball thing)?

How would a flow meter with the ball thing be any better? Is 25cfh different on one than the other. I'm new to regulator selections, so I would like to hear the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    Why would you spend the money on a flow meter if you had a perfectly good regulator that measured flow rates (just without the floating ball thing)?

How would a flow meter with the ball thing be any better? Is 25cfh different on one than the other. I'm new to regulator selections, so I would like to hear the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!
    I run regs on my migs & a flowmeter on my tig. The flow meters are supposed to be more accurate. It just happened that way for me cause that's what I ended up with. I could care less as long as gas flows & I can adjust it I'm fine. Doesn't even have to be super accurate either. Almost every mig has a reg, not a flowmeter. Nothing wrong with regs IMO. I have never had a problem/situation where I couldn't use a reg.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24