Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Something wrong with new smith regulator for mm252

I went to use my millermatic 252 today and did the usual, turned the c25 gas on really slow and then after the high pressure needle increased to its max, then opened the valve all the way.

i always back out the regulator screw when finished for the day, I assume it is better to leave them this way when not being used for a few weeks.
    This time I noticed when increasing the screw tension the low pressure side didn't increase as usual like it was stuck and then it jumped up higher than I wanted, so I backed out the regulator screw a bit and then pulled the mig trigger to set the pressure in the range I wanted.

The problem is the regulator needle is bouncing all over the place when I pull the mig trigger and i hear like a ding..ding..ding..ding..ding sound constantly coming from the regulator when I pull the mig trigger. I feel gas coming out the mig gun, but don't know why the regulator is making this sound or why the needle is jumping around.

i get the same response from the regulator if I loosen the hose at the low pressure output side of the regulator and bleed it out to see if will maintain the fixed output pressure.

anyone know what could be wrong? I'm pretty frustrated by this seeing this would have been my second chance to use the new welder.
    Last edited by clint738; 05-08-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Because they are cheap, piece of crap regulators. Sounds like you need a new one. Aren't you glad you spent all that time unscrewing it and and bleeding the gas? I have just been setting them and forgetting them. I turn off the bottle but that is it. I have some regs that are very old, and some crap out right out of the box. Luck of the draw. You may want to make sure you don't have a leak, or debris in the inlet filter, otherwise replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Because they are cheap, piece of crap regulators. Sounds like you need a new one. Aren't you glad you spent all that time unscrewing it and and bleeding the gas? I have just been setting them and forgetting them. I turn off the bottle but that is it. I have some regs that are very old, and some crap out right out of the box. Luck of the draw. You may want to make sure you don't have a leak, or debris in the inlet filter, otherwise replace it.
    How would I check the inlet filter? Don't know how it would have gotten debris in the regulator since I never disconnected it from the bottle once I installed it.

i did crack the bottle valve to blow out any junk before installing the new regulator and the bottle valve looked clean inside.

would a leak some where make the regulator do any of that dinging noises as well as the needling bouncing all around?
    Last edited by clint738; 04-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.

I set em and forget em too, ya never know whats in those tanks brother, I'd take it all apart clean it and put it back and try it. If it still does it.... Use it for target practice and buy a new one...

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    I went to use my millermatic 252 today and did the usual, turned the c25 gas on really slow and then after the high pressure needle increased to its max, then opened the valve all the way.

i always back out the regulator screw when finished for the day, I assume it is better to leave them this way when not being used for a few weeks.
    This time I noticed when increasing the screw tension the low pressure side didn't increase as usual like it was stuck and then it jumped up higher than I wanted, so I backed out the regulator screw a bit and then pulled the mig trigger to set the pressure in the range I wanted.

The problem is the regulator needle is bouncing all over the place when I pull the mig trigger and i hear like a ding..ding..ding..ding..ding sound constantly coming from the regulator when I pull the mig trigger. I feel gas coming out the mig gun, but don't know why the regulator is making this sound or why the needle is jumping around.

i get the same response from the regulator if I loosen the hose at the low pressure output side of the regulator and bleed it out to see if will maintain the fixed output pressure.

anyone know what could be wrong? I'm pretty frustrated by this seeing this would have been my second chance to use the new welder.

Clint try running the screw in and out a few times, it could be something needs to be aligned or sealed better. I switched to flow meters, regulators are for the birds.

You didn't use any Teflon tape when you threaded the regulator into the bottle? I heard that it can get inside regulators and ruin them. I just spit on the brass threads and run the nut in by hand, same O on the torch handle when changing to a welding tip, snug with a wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Clint try running the screw in and out a few times, it could be something needs to be aligned or sealed better. I switched to flow meters, regulators are for the birds.

You didn't use any Teflon tape when you threaded the regulator into the bottle? I heard that it can get inside regulators and ruin them. I just spit on the brass threads and run the nut in by hand, same O on the torch handle when changing to a welding tip, snug with a wrench.
    Well not sure if you'd call it a regulator or a flow meter since it does read tank pressure and also CFH for flow rate. It is the smith regulator that comes new with the millermatic 252, I would have thought it was a good one. I just barely bought it all like march 15th and have only welded with it for about an hour. Regulator worked fine then.

Quote Originally Posted by Missouripipewelder View Post
    I set em and forget em too, ya never know whats in those tanks brother, I'd take it all apart clean it and put it back and try it. If it still does it.... Use it for target practice and buy a new one...
    Never taken one apart, so not sure how to do that. Thinking about taking it back to air gas and seeing what they say. Problem is I will have to take off work to drive to the store during their week day only office hours.

Call Air Gas on the phone and describe the problem and see what they say before you take time off work and before you void any warranty on the regulator by taking it apart.-Meltedmetal

Clint here's what I'm running. http://store.cyberweld.com/mehrf14refl.html. Call airgas and tell them your work situation and what's happening, they might just send you a new regulator and the Flow meter/regulator. They know the regulators that come with new machines are troublesome. Mine went out too, I called Miller and they sent out a new one right away but I bought a new Victor flow meter/regulator from my WS.

Same thing happened to me last Friday. New Millermatic 252 with Smith regulator started making that noise. After I blew everything out, (which didn't help) I tapped on the back of the regulator with a rubber handle of a wrench. That seems to have cleared it up for me. It's unfortunate that great welders come with junky regulators.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52