Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default My hobby version of a homemade sheet metal bender

Built back in 2008, I used Lincoln's version of Missile rod to weld the cut-off cast steel C clamps to the frame. I used 3X2 angle for the bending bar so I could bend past 90 degrees to allow for spring back. I haven't used it a lot, but it don't eat and parks out of the way. Thanks for looking.

The test bends were 16 ga

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/cy...Metal%20Bender

Default Photo is private.

I tried to look at the photo, but it said that the photo was private, so I did not get to see it.

Richard

Sorry, try it now raferguson.

Nice bender. I made one similar but not nearly as nice.

The stand is a good idea.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Default Material?

Looking at the photos, I am a bit confused. It looks like the moving part is channel, but you say the bender bar is 2 by 3 inch angle. Or is the 2 by 3 angle the hold down?

Also, it looks like the pivot point is above the plane of the table, but maybe that is not so.....

It looks good overall.

Richard

Thanks guys, there is always a better way to do to do something.

raferguson, the picture makes the bolt look higher than the top of the channel iron but it's not. From the bottom of the flange to the top of the channel I'm guessing is close to two inches.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/...1366762022?768

You're right, I'm talking about the 2X3 angle that holds the sheet metal down.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iaho888 View Post
    Nice pics these pics show that some hard working is done on it which is owner for the maker..How much time is to make this one metal blender?My hobby is to collect the pics and save it into the file and after that research on it...
    iaho I took my time building it, I worked a little bit on it each day. Just guessing I would say two days. It still needs a 1/2" rod bent in the shape of bicycle handlebars that can be flipped down to stand on and way to lock the bending arm in a horizontal position for transporting it.

What I do now to move it around is put a plate under the 2X3 angle (the angle that the c clamps hold down] and let the plate stick out past the channel iron frame so when I raise the bending arm with the pipe handles the bending arm hits the plate on the way up.