Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank

I need to build a disel fuel tank that will go in the back of a polaris ranger 6x6 utv. I've got everything squared away except for the 2" threaded bungs for the transfer pump and filler/vent cap. Do you guys have a good source for these? I am going to build out of mild steel. Aluminum would be nice, but it won't last with how it is going to be used. It is too easy to pop a hole in it. For a drain port I am looking at just using a 3/4" pipe coupler and plug. Should end up around 90-100 gallons of usuable capacity.

Thanks.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Elvis try a hydraulic supply house that makes hoses and has fittings a Tomkins or a Fastenal . good luck chris

Elvis go to a electrical supply house and ask for a 2" pipe fitting. That is what i use when i make tanks for local guys here in florida. They also make them out of aluminum. Good luck

Since your building it with steel, all you need is standard 2" threaded pipe for the bung and a 2" pipe cap with a small hole less than 1/8" drilled in it. That's what all the transfer pumps have for threads anyhow. No need to overthink or over pay for what you need. Use 2 of them so you can have a filler neck and a bung to install the transfer pump. You don't want to have to remove the filler cap, install the pump, transfer fuel, disconnect the pump and put the cap back on every time you refuel something. This way the pump stays mounted and you have a separate place to fill the tank. The large bung opening in a 55gal. barrel is 2" standard pipe thread, the small one is 3/4".
    On the drain bung, you should consider a ball valve with a plug in it rather than the plug alone. If you ever need to drain it, and remove the plug, the fuel is going to go everywhere. With the valve on there you can connect a hose and direct it where you want it before opening the valve.

I like to use sch 80 half couplings for bungs. Just a little thicker than sch 40.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thanks guys. Schedule 80 couplers it is.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...