Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 304 stainless exhaust MIG then TIG?

Never done an exhaust system before. Looking to use prebent bends and pipe, all 304SS x .062 wall. Thinking to tack it up with a MIG, then finish the sections on the welding table with TIG. I have never MIG'ed SS and only TIG'ed it years ago in welding classes. (I do alot of mild steel MIG and some TIG)

Suggestions for filler? Looks like I can just get 304 wire, then can I use 100% argon or do I really need the tri-mix?

For the TIG, what wire and gas? Suggested settings to start with on my 200DX?

OR should I man up and drag the TIG over to the lift and do it all with the TIG. I do have a lift so I can at least be seated and raise and lower the truck as needed.
    Dynasty 200DX w/Coolmate 3
    MM252
    MM251
    Hypertherm 600 Plasma
    Ready Welder II (Trail repairs)
    One really big hammer for the rest

308 would be the appropriate filler.

A few of my customers tack thier SS components together with a mig. Then I have to retack in different areas and grind out thier tacks and weld complete. They use C25, and the co2 breaks down in to entrap oxides in the weld ruining it long term.

TriMix, or StainMix would be appropriate gas for mig ss.

Or you could try to tig it in place in the chassis. Are you going to purge on the bench?

Good luck.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    308 would be the appropriate filler.

Or you could try to tig it in place in the chassis. Are you going to purge on the bench?

Good luck.
    308 rodger.

Yes was thinking I would back purge it on the bench when I TIG it. Would seem like it would need it with the MIG as well. I just don't do any SS normally. On that note is there a suggested tape to use for seams?
    Dynasty 200DX w/Coolmate 3
    MM252
    MM251
    Hypertherm 600 Plasma
    Ready Welder II (Trail repairs)
    One really big hammer for the rest

Quote Originally Posted by helocat View Post
    308 rodger.

Yes was thinking I would back purge it on the bench when I TIG it. Would seem like it would need it with the MIG as well. I just don't do any SS normally. On that note is there a suggested tape to use for seams?
    I have been using solar flux. Kind of messy but works. Don't think it would work on the chassis for tacking. Have not found the tape yet myself.

For an exhaust that is yours, I don't think the mig will do much harm for tacking. You could always grind out the tacks and tig it proper with purge or flux or damming or tape.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Now this is just my opinion based on what I have did so dont everyone get into a pissin contest..... Absolutly 308, thats what I used to weld the exhaust on my rig. If you have the opportunity to purge it do it and treat it just like your welding mild steel only difference is that its stainless. I have used just about everything when it comes to taping off for a purge. In this case its not an absolute so if for some reason you do lose your purge, its not the end of world. That being said I'd just use masking or painters tape, its cheap. Just let stuff cool and check your flow of argon repeatedly and you'll be fine brother. Now as far as the temperature... if it was me, I would start off low on the heat and just find whats comfortable. Just remember, when it come right down to it, you gotta please you..... so WELD IT TIL YA LIKE..... because in this case thats what matters.

I would just tig weld everything using 100% argon with 308 wire. I would use the tig and fuse your pipe together with small tacks then come back and use wire to completely weld your seams.

Arrow

Agreed
    Why tack with mig then tig the rest.
    Tack and weld the entire joint with tig.
    I like the solar B flux for back shielding as well. Much more simple than purging.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Ironworker Welder
    Operating engineer
    Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding