Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mig gun problem

Hybrid View

Default Mig gun problem

I have a Miller 35s with a Bernard gun. How do I know what model it is. The reason is that the gas nozzle and diffuser I think need to be replaced. The contact tip just started pushing out when I go to weld and it seems that it burns back and welds the tip. I went to clean the nozzle with a plumbing pipe cleaner and cleaned the wrong end. The nozzle seems to have some sort of resin as the insulator and I think it is shorting out. Help !!! Tom

Show a picture of the gun and any adapters that may have been needed to connect the gun to the machine so guys that might know can help you.

Here is Bernards guns and parts

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/.../bernard-guns/

Not sure how to post pics. The machine is old and the gun is the replacement model and there's no markings other than the name. Would I be able to bring the parts to have matched up. What would cause the burn back to happen as soon as I pull the trigger, when just before I cleaned the wrong end of the nozzle, it worked. Do you think it's shorting out because I cleaned the insulating material away.

Quote Originally Posted by concreteguy View Post
    Not sure how to post pics. The machine is old and the gun is the replacement model and there's no markings other than the name. Would I be able to bring the parts to have matched up. What would cause the burn back to happen as soon as I pull the trigger, when just before I cleaned the wrong end of the nozzle, it worked. Do you think it's shorting out because I cleaned the insulating material away.
    I'm no repair guy concreteguy, I hate to give ideas that could get you hurt or your equipment..... (but if it was me) I would squeeze the trigger with the nozzle
    off and see if it shorts out at the tip. Again the safest way would be to take the gun to your welding supply.... call first. If there is a gun adapter let them know, they may or may not want you to bring it with you so they can match things up.

Many nozzles are built with insulation between the thread and body. If you can take your torch and nozzle to an LWS, they may be able to match it up for you.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

If you have a Centerfire style gun the nozzle holds the contact tip in place and need to replace or tighten the nozzle.If you have an older style gun with oblong contact tip,1/4? turn tightens the tip into the diffuser,change it out to Centerfire.

I went to the local welding/gas supply and they matched the diffuser and nozzle. I went and installed them and all seems to be well. It being and old machine-1973- would have hated not to be able to get the parts, It still welds fairly well. At least as good as I can do. Thanks for the help