Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default FCAW Always Messy??

Used a FCAW wire feeder system at school the other night. Decent end result welds but the spatter is unbelievable; with or without shielding gas, 75/25. Just makes a mess. Instructor couldn't get it to do any better either; thought it was the wire grade/age.... Coupons were 1/2" armor plate.

So today I put a roll of unshielded .035 on my Miller 211, removed the nozzle and immediately burned up the tip, worse spatter than in class. Tried several different WFS/V settings, none had any different results, all nasty messes. With the 211 even the end result welds weren't acceptable. Worse than any bad stick beads I've ever done. Coupons were 1/8" mild steel.

According to our textbook FCAW now makes up about 50% of wire feed process usage. Someone is getting better results than we are for sure if that's true. :-)

Open to any recommendations y'all may have.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

I use fcaw wire(self shielding) in my passport and don't have any problems...a little spatter but that's expected....not sure what to tell you

Did you switch the polarity on your 211?

Add Content
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kerr74 View Post
    Did you switch the polarity on your 211?
    That was it. We didn't do anything with polarity in class and I didn't think about it in my garage either. Even though it says on the chart to do that. Duh. :-)

Pic 1 is DCEP and Pic 2 is DCEN. Will check the machine at school on Tuesday.

Will also comment to Miller on their phone settings app. It doesn't say anything about polarity for flux core like it does for GMAW & SMAW. Also I notice that the settings app for flux core specifies 14-15 volts for .035 and 1/8" steel. Miller told me that the lowest setting on the 211 is 17 volts. I used the 5/35 setting from the chart for Pic 2.

Thanks Kerr74.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Thrutraffic View Post
    Used a FCAW wire feeder system at school

According to our textbook FCAW now makes up about 50% of wire feed process usage. Someone is getting better results than we are for sure if that's true. :-)

Open to any recommendations y'all may have.
    It is true but i think you have gasless flux core and gas flux core lumped together. It is two seperate wires and the cables are + -- for each wire usage. Gas flux core won't run without gas and gasless FCAW is just wasting gas if used.
    So post some more info on the wire. Our shop runs gas flux GMAW on every machine with perfect results...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Flux Wire

I work for a company that does structural steel and any in shop welding is done with .045 flux wire and shielding gas. The outcome and purpose for this process is completely worth it. Penetration and strength are that of field welding with 7018 rod. Self shielded flux core will always produce a small amount of spatter but not to the extreme. Self shield is good for small jobs with less than perfect steel and less than perfect welding conditions.

Ok, the wire at school is an ESAB Dual Shield 710x. That's all I could get off the tag. The wire is black.

I checked the power source, an Aircomatic 2.5 DTR-224-A, and it is wired DCEN. Machine may be older than I am. :-)

The wire feeder is separate, on a boom arm.

Again, it was running great beads but the spatter was the worst I've seen. Instructor and several other students welded with it, all with the same results.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

:~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Thrutraffic View Post
    Ok, the wire at school is an ESAB Dual Shield 710x. That's all I could get off the tag. The wire is black.

and it is wired DCEN.
    BINGO. That wire is supossed to be run DCEP +
    I run the same wire 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Zero splatter with 75/25 and a little with CO2...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48