Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Millermatic 140 problem

First off, i'll introduce myself. My name is Terry, i live in Eden NY. I work on our family dairy farm and in my spare time i'm either working on motorcyles or out riding.
    Now onto the issue i'm having. I've owned my millermatic 140 for 6 years now and it has worked flawlessly up until last summer. When you start the weld, it acts as though it is not hot enough, you can feel the wire hitting the material. once you get a puddle it will weld just fine. it only does this once in a while, but has been acting up more recently. i checked my ground and ground connections, everything is clean. to rule out a feed problem, i hooked up my spool gun. welded great on the scrap piece i tried, then went to weld the project i was working on and it did the same thing, like its not getting hot enough on the start.
    Anbody have any suggestions?

Is the work piece clean and rust free? If it works fine on one piece of metal and not on another I would suspect that.

Blow out the mig gun liner. Clean the contact tip or replace it. Also, might want to see if there is some corrosion on the wire. What wire/gas combo are you running? Might be worthwhile to get one of those little pads that cleans and lubes the wire right before it goes into the drive rolls.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

yeah, everything is clean and rust free. it will weld fine one minute and not the next on the same piece. i changed tips and cleaned liner, one of the first things i tried. to rule out a liner issue or wire feed motor issue, i put my spool gun on and it does the same thing.

I would try and clean the work area and ground point with a grinder. And then wipe down with acetone prior to weld.

Wire? Gas? Do you have a stamped steel crap ground clamp or a brass/copper clamp? Have you checked the lug tightness of the whip and ground connector?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

it's not a ground issue, went through all that when it started acting up, checked all grounds, new good clamp. ground area on piece is always clean. any other ideas what to look for?

Cool

Are you using the same wire all along and maybe ran out and went with another spool that might have been bigger dia wire? Just wondering...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

If it's a 120 volt model maybe the wall outlet needs to be changed, 6 years of use on the same outlet is long time. Clean the plug with some steel wool and blow out the outlet and see if that helps.

i've only uses .030 wire since i;ve had it, never changed. as far as the wall outlet goes, its in a 45 x60 shop most of the time and gets wheeled around to mutliple outlets. i'll look into it, any other suggestions? i really think its something internal in the welder.