Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Sq tube rifle rest

Since I have welders and tools and save my small steel I built this rifle rest a couple years back. I didn't like what I saw for around $100 so I decided I would build my own.

3" sq for the body

1" NC althread for the height adjusting screw

Three 1" nuts, one for the height adjusting screw drilled out for 1/2" rods that were silvered in. Some day I would like to shorten the 1/2" rods and silver a ring to them.

1" solid stock for the legs

1 1/4" X 1/8 sq tube for the telescopic tube.

To get the flashing out of the 1 1/4" sq tube I cut a 75 degree angle on a piece of the 1" solid and drove it through the square, it worked like a champ.

To get the slop out of the 1" althread I welded a 1" nut to the underside of the top plate and with another nut used like a jamb nut, I tightened it until all the slop came out then I tacked it to the welded nut.

It's heavy the way I wanted it to be. I bought the stock holder from an outfit in Colorado that builds rife rests. I ordered the threaded balls, knobs and feet on line.

It makes for a good welding project, simple but just as good or maybe even better than one you can buy.

Dream it, weld it.

Last edited by tackit; 04-20-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137