Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question? custom fireplace

ok guys im building a custom wood burning fireplace for a customer and i have never build one does anyone have any input. i really was just wondering is there a standard thickness steel to use? and he is mounting it inside a wooden wall what is the best way to insulate it to keep heat inside i figured firebricks on inside. any suggestions?

I would say go to a fireplace store that sells stoves and get ideas and pictures off the showroom floor.
    I don't know about the safety of putting it in a wooden wall, he should be sure to talk to insurance man about that.

You want the heat to come out not stay inside. I would see what the stove store's stoves use.

I maybe wrong but I always thought fire bricks were to give thermal mass and to protect the steel from warping and cracking and also the lye in wood ashes.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-19-2013 at 10:58 AM.

I would check out companies like heatilator for info and recommendations. Brick, fire or regular brick do not really insulate very well or for very long. Talk to your insurance company about this. The brick itself will withstand high temperature but under sustained heating it will heat though high enough to ignite wood on the other side. Do lots of research before you begin. There are some ceramic insulating materials but you should talk to company representatives to see if they are appropriate. I like air spaces with moving air. Carries heat into the room and if designed right limits the transfer of heat into the wall.-Meltedmetal

You should not even touch this job if you have to ask these questions. Not only do you obviously not know the safety requirements and applicable codes, you have no knowledge of the thermal dynamics that make a fireplace not smoke and burn correctly. Hire a professional who knows what their doing before you kill people in a house fire or carbon monoxide positioning. From the sound if it, you do not even have the proper license to work on a job like this. Not trying to be rude or insulting, if this was your house I would say go nuts, but don't put people at risk so you can make a couple grand.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 04-19-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6:306200
    You should not even touch this job if you have to ask these questions. Not only do you obviously not know the safety requirements and applicable codes, you have no knowledge of the thermal dynamics that make a fireplace not smoke and burn correctly. Hire a professional who knows what their doing before you kill people in a house fire or carbon monoxide positioning. From the sound if it, you do not even have the proper license to work on a job like this. Not trying to be rude or insulting, if this was your house I would say go nuts, but don't put people at risk so you can make a couple grand.
    Yea.. i would have to agree with this. You need a professional. There are codes and requirements that keep the home from fires and other potential threats. Also there are other thing like drafting correctly and such.. theres alot that goes in the design of these things so they function correctly and safely. Not a job i would want to do and i am a licensed, insured and multiple certified welder/fabricator. If you burn someones house down you can forget about having anything in the future or even a buisiness. Not worth it at all. Just curious... what would possess you to even take on a task like this?

My family owns a large stove shop in dover delaware. They sell woodstoves, pellet stoves, fireplaces etc... and they also install them. My step dad is the manager. He would probably not want any part of giving you any advice on this because if he did and you missed something then burned the house down, it could come back on him. So any stove shop/ fireplace installer with some sense would stay out of it as well. I also dont mean to be insulting but its just the truth..

Here's the deal on wood stoves and wood fire places, Unless your stove is
    UL rated or UL listed Which requires engineers, testing and several thousands of dollars, Your insurance company and the local fire Marshall will not approve it.

When I was wanting to build one I explained to them that I was going to use pipe that was 7 times thicker than cheap old stove pipe and none of that mattered.

Unless its been tested and approved through Underwriters Laboratories your headed down a dead end road.

The only way that my home made wood stove was approved for my shop was that it is housed inside a steel building that is not connected to my shop and all I have is a heat duct coming out of the building and into the shop.

I talked directly to my local Fire Marshall and then to the state Fire Marshall.

Default question? custom fireplace

thanks PW i have talked to the guy, he really wanted a wood burning fireplace but there is just no way to do it i realize.think i have changed his mind now he wants a custom stainless mantle with a electric insert

That's a smart decision. Good luck with the project. Post some pics when you get her finished up!

Default great input

It is nice to know that people who use this site actually have common sense and are willing to give professional advise. We all should be so grateful that well knowledge crowd it here to look out for people that can use and appreciate help. All posts above hit the nail on the head and left me with nothing much else to add. I am glad if I ever needed help I could turn to this crowd.