Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Stress relief on warped TIG job

Greetings fellows.

I've got a 24x12 inch pan recently tigged for me that has suffered a significant bow. I left a lot of material in the 1/2" flange to reduce this AND to allow for subsequent machining as I expected some warpage. I've got better that 1/4" at each end. Excessive in my opinion.

So to machine it flat again there's several inches of clamping space intentionally available. I could just throw it in, knock it flat and ignore the flange thickness variations.

OR,

If I bored all the bolt holes and clamped it solidly to the casting could I apply the rosebud and relieve some of the warpage prior to machining?
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Leblond 15x 35 Regal Servoshift lathe
    Solberga SE 1425 Drill Press
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander
    Tons of grinders and hand tools
    Knife edge Balancing rollers
    Heat and AC in the garage

Jags and racing Triumphs

A lot more info needed, material type and thickness? Pics? end use?

Excellent points!

Pan is an oil pan for a racecar. Material is 6061 Aluminum. Flange is 1/2" and pan structure is .090. Pics available soon....

Here's the project

More pics here....http://s206.photobucket.com/user/GT6...?sort=3&page=1

Now the good news, I clamped it down to the mill table just to see and when I released it for these pics I noted considerably less warpage. So I clamped it again with some spacers and after several iterations it virtually flat now. I'm surprised how easily it bent, presumably it's not T-6 anymore?

So thanx for the space to display my ignorance, I'm thrilled to learn something new.

Regards, Steve
    Last edited by GT6Steve; 04-18-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Leblond 15x 35 Regal Servoshift lathe
    Solberga SE 1425 Drill Press
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander
    Tons of grinders and hand tools
    Knife edge Balancing rollers
    Heat and AC in the garage

Jags and racing Triumphs