Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TIP TIG hot wirefeed tig

It's called TIP TIG.

Anbody have any thoughts on this new tool coming out of Austria?

It's a hot wirefeed tig torch setup that piggybacks your existing tig powersource. I guess it puts a high-frequency current onto the wire it feeds into your tungsten arc. It looks interesting.

The web site about it is www.weldreality.com
    XMT 350 w/ S-75 DXA Feeder
    and a Bernard 300 gun
    Optima Pulsing Pendant
    XR-W wire feeder + Coolmate 4
    with an XR-W Edge Gun

Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    Regular Passport

Dynasty 200DX
    Trailblazer 301G w/Freak Box &
    S-32P volt sensing wire feeder

Spectrum 1000 Plasma
    Spectrum 375 Xtreme Plasma
    Regular Spectrum 375 Plasma

Victor H315FC torch & accessories
    Victor 100FC torch & accessories
    Meco torch & accessories by Kent White

Default $$$$$$

I'd be scared to ask what the cost of that thing is,Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Default Cost?

On the web site www.rapidwelding.com they have it for 3780 British Pounds and the torch for 498 British Pounds. At today's rates that would make it $6500 to $7000. But I believe that is for the cold wire feed setup. On the www.weldreality.com website they depict a base unit which provides the hot current onto the .045 wire. I can't find any European references for a possible package price.
    and a Bernard 300 gun
    Optima Pulsing Pendant
    with an XR-W Edge Gun

Regular Passport

Dynasty 200DX

Spectrum 1000 Plasma

Looks like the setup we had at the boiler shop I worked at back in the late 70's early 80's. We were welding boiler tubes to the tube sheets after they were rolled. Our unit was hooked up to a Hobart Cyber-TIG machine, we used .023 wire in ours and it produced some of the nicest looking welds. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as that unit but it looks very similar.

The unit I was using back then was designed in the early 60's by a company known as Griscom Russell which was bought out in the mid 60's by Baldwin, Lyman & Hamilton in Philadelphia PA. The reason I know this is my step-dad worked for Griscom Russell and the boiler company I was working for was owned by a former Griscom Russel engineer, who bought the buildings and much of the equipment that Griscom Russell had at the time.

I'm not sure if Griscom Russell had patented the setup or not, but I remember using it on several 9th stage heaters for Ohio Power in Niles OH. I do know that removing the tubes that were welded to the tube sheets was nothing less than a cast iron b***h!!!

Both cold and hot wire delivery systems are used in mechanized welding operations. Cold wire is common, hot wire is less common.

Manual cold wire GTA is fairly common and can produce a high production rate compared to manual GTA. The torch mounted wire guide may work for certain, repetive weld joints but is not as flexible as the seperated torch and wire system.

Also, It is important to note that any of the commonly avaliable wire delivery systems can control wire pulsation but provide no means to sync the weld current pulsation to that wire pulsation.

Default Tiptig In the UK

Yes indeed the model shown here is the Cold wire version. The Hot wire version is 8500.00 in the UK. Ed Craig is exclusive in the USA so we leave it to him.

Who is Ed Craig? Why is he exclusive? In Marketing 101, don't they preach that exclusivity is always bad for market penetration?
    and a Bernard 300 gun
    Optima Pulsing Pendant
    with an XR-W Edge Gun

Regular Passport

Dynasty 200DX

Spectrum 1000 Plasma

I looked into this company and went to their free workshop in Philadelphia in Dec 2009. They had a lecture followed by hands on demos and practice in their shop. Tip Tig USA is located in the old Philadelphia Navy yard.

They had about 20 attendees ranging from engineers to welders.
    The shop had 2 machines set up for practice. One was a red one which they had to do some cut and paste wiring with the remote plugs to get everything to work. This red machine was set up for stainless using .035" wire.

The other machine was hooked up to a Dynasty 350 and only required the menu to set the machine to 2T mode of operation. The Tip Tig machine used the standard 14 pin plug on the Dynasty.

I was very impressed at how even a novice found the set up easy to use and everyone was running smooth beads after 1 minute of pactice.

The machine is a modified hot wire system and imparts a special back and forth motion to the wire as it is fed into the arc.
    Machine uses standard mig wire spools and the torch is special in that it uses a hand switch and wire guide.

I showed the instructor how get into the Dynasty menu and was surprised to see that their machine only had about 650 arc starts and less than 75 hours

The Dynasty machine was set up for carbon steel pipe welding in the 2G position and everyone (even a bozo like me) was able to walk the cup easily after about a minute of practice. I have done a little tigging but never walked the cup before this.

Would be great for production use.

Will try to find the samples I did that day and post some photos.

Anyway I was impressed.

I want one but it runs over $10k so ..............................
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Question TIP TIG for welding Copper

Does anyone have any expereince with using the TIPTIG for welding copper? I am still trying to find out who is actually using the TIPTIG in the North America.

Anyone have experience with using the TIPTIG with a Dynasaty 700?

It sound like an interesting product but at $15K plus it is not something you just go out and buy.

I would like to hear some users comments as compared to what you see on the TiptTigusa.com website

i'm assuming its a cold wire feed, I set up something simular for welding pipe a few years back with a miller power source and feeder coupled with a high frequency unit and travel carriage.