Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why not just install an l6-30r, 30 amp plug? That's what I use for my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    The MM211 comes with the MVP so changing out the plug to 30amp connector would make the system useless as well as voiding the warranty once you cut off the MVP connector on the power cord.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    The MM211 comes with the MVP so changing out the plug to 30amp connector would make the system useless as well as voiding the warranty once you cut off the MVP connector on the power cord.
    I see. I have a 180 and have never seen the MVP plug. Sorry for the bad advise. Learn something new everyday.

I remember the days when a 6-50r was just called a "welder plug". If you had a welder this is what you used. Life was simpler.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Follow-up --

First, thanks to all for the helpful info!

Between what I found here, a lot of searching/education, and dredging up old memories from EE 101, I finally decided to stop trying to figure out "make do" alternatives, and just "do it right." I've installed a dedicated 50A circuit breaker in the garage sub-panel and a completely new/separate 6-50R wall socket less than a foot away from the panel.

Next stops: pick up a 75/25 cylinder, and prepare a "safe" area in the garage to ensure I don't burn the place down!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    ...I've installed a dedicated 50A circuit breaker in the garage sub-panel and a completely new/separate 6-50R wall socket...

Mark
    Uh, Oh. Hope you haven't caught the disease. I started out with a 30A outlet in the garage just in case I got a decent compressor or whatever. Then got a MIG and decided to go with a separate 50A as well. Then there was this stick welder... and then a Syncrowave 250 that just begged to have it's own 70A breaker minimum... SIGH. Now I wonder if I can up the main breaker in the sub-panel from 100A to 120A. Then maybe I could do some arc-air gouging and burn the place down once and for all.

Is there some over-the-counter medication for this?

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    Is there some over-the-counter medication for this?
    If there is, I wouldn't take it.

I've installed a dedicated 50A circuit breaker in the garage sub-panel and a completely new/separate 6-50R wall socket less than a foot away from the panel.
    Did you ever determine what size wire you have on that circuit? You stated that a licensed electrician installed it and that it was a 20 amp circuit which means most likely #12 wire.

The reason that I ask is because using a 50 amp breaker and a 50 amp socket with #12 wire is both illegal and dangerous.

Even if you know about it and limit what you plug in, a fault on the equipment could overload the circuit and cause a fire. Besides it is a violation of the NEC.

If it is only a foot away from the panel, how hard can it be to upgrade the wire?
    Last edited by davido30093; 04-27-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davido30093 View Post
    Did you ever determine what size wire you have on that circuit? You stated that a licensed electrician installed it and that it was a 20 amp circuit which means most likely #12 wire.
    Not an issue -- I left the compressor 240V circuit untouched. I instead installed a new wall box (deep box), and ran a separate 8/3 line to a new 50A breaker in the sub-panel.

Thanks, I missed that part.