Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default millermatic 175 wire feed problem

My millermatic 175 developed an interesting problem today, I am in the middle of a car trailer building project, and started welding some 1/8" thick WW11 aircraft landing mat pieces on to 4" channeling, the wire feed speed will not change, it is running fast (70-80-90) even with the speed control potentometer disconnected. Have I fried the curcit control card ? The machine still welds but unless the voltage is turned up to 9 or 10 there is just too much wire feeding to make a acceptable bead. Anybody have a issue like this ? How did you resolve it ? Thanks HemiAl

Default millermatic 175

Quote Originally Posted by HemiAl View Post
    My millermatic 175 developed an interesting problem today, I am in the middle of a car trailer building project, and started welding some 1/8" thick WW11 aircraft landing mat pieces on to 4" channeling, the wire feed speed will not change, it is running fast (70-80-90) even with the speed control potentometer disconnected. Have I fried the curcit control card ? The machine still welds but unless the voltage is turned up to 9 or 10 there is just too much wire feeding to make a acceptable bead. Anybody have a issue like this ? How did you resolve it ? Thanks HemiAl
    My local miller dealer and one of the independent equipment repair shops, told me that my wire feed issue could be due to a bad potentiometer or a fried curcit card, I think it probably is the card as the feed speed is still running fast even with the pot disconnected. I put everything back together and am trying to finish my trailer project, by only using the miller to weld heavy stuff and pressing my back up lincoln 110 V machine into service for the lighter welds, Still would welcome any advice or suggestions on the miller 175, Thanks Al

Give the people at www.miller4less. com a call, have the machine's serial number and part numbers you need handy and see if they can help you.

https://miller4less.com/contact_us.p...37d5a74de6617a

Yep, fried board

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Yep, fried board
    Thanks cruizer, I thought the board was the problem when I ran the machine with the pot unplugged and still had the same problem, it seems to be working OK with the voltage up, so I can finish building my car trailer, using it only to weld the heavy stuff. I like your scooter, I used to ride a rigid frame '69 shovelhead chopper, aah the good old days. HemiAl

Question, If you disconnect the potentiometer wouldn't it default to the fastest wire speed? I thought the pot regulated the speed by taking the input & reducing it?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Give the people at www.miller4less. com a call, have the machine's serial number and part numbers you need handy and see if they can help you.

https://miller4less.com/contact_us.p...37d5a74de6617a
    Thanks tackit, I went to the miller4less site and found the curcit card that I need, but my local equipment repair shop told me they can order the same part for $35 less, I appreciate the reply and will check with them in the future if I need other parts. HemiAl