Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default millermatic 175 wire feed problem

My millermatic 175 developed an interesting problem today, I am in the middle of a car trailer building project, and started welding some 1/8" thick WW11 aircraft landing mat pieces on to 4" channeling, the wire feed speed will not change, it is running fast (70-80-90) even with the speed control potentometer disconnected. Have I fried the curcit control card ? The machine still welds but unless the voltage is turned up to 9 or 10 there is just too much wire feeding to make a acceptable bead. Anybody have a issue like this ? How did you resolve it ? Thanks HemiAl

Default millermatic 175

Quote Originally Posted by HemiAl View Post
    My millermatic 175 developed an interesting problem today, I am in the middle of a car trailer building project, and started welding some 1/8" thick WW11 aircraft landing mat pieces on to 4" channeling, the wire feed speed will not change, it is running fast (70-80-90) even with the speed control potentometer disconnected. Have I fried the curcit control card ? The machine still welds but unless the voltage is turned up to 9 or 10 there is just too much wire feeding to make a acceptable bead. Anybody have a issue like this ? How did you resolve it ? Thanks HemiAl
    My local miller dealer and one of the independent equipment repair shops, told me that my wire feed issue could be due to a bad potentiometer or a fried curcit card, I think it probably is the card as the feed speed is still running fast even with the pot disconnected. I put everything back together and am trying to finish my trailer project, by only using the miller to weld heavy stuff and pressing my back up lincoln 110 V machine into service for the lighter welds, Still would welcome any advice or suggestions on the miller 175, Thanks Al

Give the people at www.miller4less. com a call, have the machine's serial number and part numbers you need handy and see if they can help you.

https://miller4less.com/contact_us.p...37d5a74de6617a

Yep, fried board

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Give the people at www.miller4less. com a call, have the machine's serial number and part numbers you need handy and see if they can help you.

https://miller4less.com/contact_us.p...37d5a74de6617a
    Thanks tackit, I went to the miller4less site and found the curcit card that I need, but my local equipment repair shop told me they can order the same part for $35 less, I appreciate the reply and will check with them in the future if I need other parts. HemiAl

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Yep, fried board
    Thanks cruizer, I thought the board was the problem when I ran the machine with the pot unplugged and still had the same problem, it seems to be working OK with the voltage up, so I can finish building my car trailer, using it only to weld the heavy stuff. I like your scooter, I used to ride a rigid frame '69 shovelhead chopper, aah the good old days. HemiAl

Question, If you disconnect the potentiometer wouldn't it default to the fastest wire speed? I thought the pot regulated the speed by taking the input & reducing it?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default MMW, reply

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Question, If you disconnect the potentiometer wouldn't it default to the fastest wire speed? I thought the pot regulated the speed by taking the input & reducing it?
    I figured that if the board was good the wire would not feed at all with the pot unplugged, as this machine does not have automatic wire speed setting or any computer displays etc. it is very basic with no bells or whistles, just the way I like it. It is 11 years old and does get a fair amount of use, even in my home "hobby" shop, so I really can't complain about the service that it has given me, although the replacement board is a superseded part number. Replacement will have to wait a while though, as my disability check will only go so far. I am still using it the way it is, I just have to leave the voltage up so it matches the wire speed. HemiAl

Doesn't the MM175 have the feed speed tracking whereby when you change the voltage you have also changed the overall feed speed range slightly? If so, then that makes trouble shooting trouble more on the oogly side than simple.