Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm a pipe welder on submarines and I started about a year ago. I have to use the mirror everyday, flex head torch, and 45 heads to weld in the situations I do and the one thing that always helped me when I was having trouble was to just focus and take my time. It's hard to mess up with tig so as long as your taking your time adding metal when and where you need to you should be fine. I also have to weld on pre heated joints so something that really helped me out was a tig finger. You put in on a finger on your torch hand, left or right, doesn't matter and you can rest it on the member and can really improve your consistency. Very heat resistant, I would usually work around 200 degrees min. I stick weld a lot as well so if you have any questions let me know and I will help if I can. Hope this helps

Default new to tig welding

Thanks guys for all the tips. I'm still trying tig as much as I can but my instructor mostly wants us to keep doing stick. (We're not supposed to learn tig in this class but I'm graduating so he wanted me to Atleast have tried it) I'm getting better with vertical up and a little better with tig. Ill try to upload some pics in the next few days. Thanks a lot guys!