Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new to tig welding

I'm just starting to tig weld. I've been doing stick for the last couple of months and doing vertical up 7018. Still trying to get that to look good but I've got it fairly down pat. I'm starting to try to learn a little about tig welding and was wondering if y'all had any tips that helped you out when you first started. I've looked through the Internet and on different websites and learned a lot. I can make a bead and it has somewhat of a "stack of dimes" look to it.

Id start by learnin your machine how it runs and all that good stuff. I ran a bunch of beads with no filler untill i learned how to keep a steady puddle. After you can keep a steady puddle start with your fill rod

Go visit WeldingWeb.com

Look up a member DSW. He is an instructor at some technical school. His instructional posts are very helpful for newbies.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Alright thank y'all. I never thought about practicing keeping a puddle without the filler.

Something I used to do a lot was...set up a torch with all the basic consumables but with a short hose and cable (about a foot or 2), obtain a couple 1'', 2'', and 5 or 6" pipe coupons, prep and tack those as you would any other for a weld test. Also tack a couple plates together in a T or corner joint, as long and thick as you want.. preferably longer. Take those things around with you wherever you will have time to practice walking the cup on all those joints, practice walking the cup in every position you can possibly think of until your so used to maneuvering the torch it is like an extension of your hand. Be creative in this and it will help you a lot. You can also practice free handing it this way

That sounds like a really good thing to do. So far I've just been trying to make a halfway decent looking bead on flat steel. I've got it to where it looks similar to a real tig weld, it's just not pretty and consistent like it should be. But I will definitely try the coupons. Thanks

What machine do you have to practice with?

I believe it's a miller syncrowave 250. Ill have to look at it again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter0329:306373
    I believe it's a miller syncrowave 250. Ill have to look at it again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
    Those are really nice machines. I will be getting one myself here shortly. Another thing you can practice anywhere is walking your filler between your fingers to feed it. Some people do like a twisting back and forth motion and others do a inch worm technique. You should be able to come up with a way your comfortable with on your own.. practice with your glove on and it will help alot

Default Learning to Tig Weld

I learned to walk the cup on a mirror in the bathroom of my hotel while I was going to welding school.... I would powder the mirror after a while of just getting the feel of the rig in my hand. I knew what the pattern should look like, and the powder would coat the mirror making it slick as crap and it would leave a pattern of what I did. By the time I got to the tig pirtion of the schooling, I had the cup walking down, after learning how to drop a root in a piece of 6 in. pipe it was all over but the certification. I still do it sometimes when I get bored.... when it comes right down to it brother, YOU JUST HAVE TO WELD IT UNTIL YOU LIKE IT! Good luck.