Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding a steel plate to the 5th wheel plate.

I have a customer that brought me a new 5th wheel plate for a dolly on his gravel train.

He had the old 5th wheel plate that someone welded a steel plate too, What the plate is for, Is so when they back up the pup trailer, theres a pin that comes down into a hole in the plate to keep the pup trailer straight.

So we duplicated the plate with a hole in it and welded it to the 5th wheel plate.

I normally dont like welding to cast but I assumed this was a cast steel which is semi tolerant to welding on.
    Plus the other one has been working for the last 8 years.

We did all the normal preheat and post heat.

For all you truck mechanic welders, Is this a normal practice and have you seen this type of design.

I can't say that I have seen that design, but I do all the weld repairs for the local TA Truckstop and the Petro Truckstop and have done plenting of weld repairs on fifth wheels and fifth wheel plates with 100% success. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, you assumed correctly. They are made from a cast steel.
    Last edited by jpence38; 04-16-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

J. Pence38, Thanks for the reply, I look at you list of equipment and we have alot of the same equipment.

When in doubt of what material your working with... just give it a good ole spark test. Theres lots of compare charts on the internet.

I started looking at it and I think it broke from a lack of weld, My forman only put one pass on each side, when I would have flushed it out on the top and put 3 passes on the bottom.

I cant always oversee every thing that they do unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    J. Pence38, Thanks for the reply, I look at you list of equipment and we have alot of the same equipment.
    How is business up your way?? Doing pretty good down here.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Ther'es 3 of us and everytime I think we are going to be caught up another job seems to pop up, we always stay busy throughout the summer for sure.

This is are 25th year in business which helps having all the contacts that we have built through out the years.

Its funny when I look at your list of equipment I find that we have alot of the same stuff

Mod 32 bender, Dynasty 300, stl 150, suitcase feeders ( I run the RC feeders ) 50 ton press, Spool guns, Push pull feeders, Trail blazers, and a few other items.